This biography of a living person relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Drake Doremus at the 2011 London Film Festival
|Occupation||Film director, writer, producer|
Drake Doremus (born March 29, 1983) is an American film director, screenwriter and producer best known for directing the films Like Crazy (2011) which won the Grand Jury Prize at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival, Douchebag (2010) which was in Dramatic competition at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival, and Equals (2015).
Doremus studied directing at the AFI Conservatory, being the youngest fellow ever accepted into the film school. Doremus' mother, Cherie Kerr, was a founding member of the legendary L.A. The Groundlings. Doremus grew up on Kerr's stage, performing with the Orange County Crazies, starting at the age of six as an improv comedy player. He went on to produce and direct for that organization, including his own original works.
His 2011 film Like Crazy has been described as loosely inspired by his real life experiences. It stars Anton Yelchin, Felicity Jones, and Jennifer Lawrence. Most of the dialogue in the film was improvised, with only a 50-page detailed outline as a script. The film was shot in a month on only a $250,000 budget, and won the Grand Jury Prize at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival.
In 2012, Doremus directed a six-part social film for Intel and Toshiba called The Beauty Inside. It was written by Richard Greenberg, and stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Topher Grace. The series earned him a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding New Approaches - Original Daytime Program or Series. In June 2013, his film Breathe In starring Felicity Jones, Guy Pearce, Amy Ryan, and Mackenzie Davis opened the Edinburgh International Film Festival EIFF. Doremus directed the 2015 science-fiction romantic drama film Equals, written by Nathan Parker based on a story by Doremus and starring Kristen Stewart, Nicholas Hoult, Guy Pearce, and Jacki Weaver.
In 2017, Doremus directed and produced the romantic drama Newness, which had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival. The film reunites Doremus with Nicholas Hoult, who starred in his previous film Equals. It also stars Laia Costa. He again forayed into science-fiction romance with Zoe, written by Richard Greenberg and released by Amazon Studios on July 20, 2018. It stars Léa Seydoux, Ewan McGregor, Theo James, Rashida Jones, Matthew Gray Gubler, Miranda Otto, and Christina Aguilera. Doremus directed the advertisement for Hugo Boss' "The Scent Private Accord" perfume, starring Jamie Dornan.
Doremus frequently collaborates with Ben York Jones, who co-wrote Like Crazy and Breathe In with Doremus, and wrote Newness. York Jones produced Douchebag and Newness, and appeared as an actor in Spooner, Douchebag, Like Crazy, and The Beauty Inside. In addition, he received special thanks on Equals.
It was announced that Doremus is teaming with Amazon to co-executive produce and direct a television series based on Jardine Libaire's book White Fur. Doremus is set to direct another romantic drama entitled Aurora, produced by CJ Entertainment. It was also announced that Doremus has signed a two-year deal with Paramount TV to develop new projects and direct existing projects.
“I’m a divorcee. I got married to this woman to try and get her back, I went through the visa stuff, to try and get her back in the States…I’d spent so much time here, visiting someone when I was in a long-distance relationship, so I was so familiar with what it feels like to be jet-lagged, and only be here for 5 days, and try to be romantic, and try to fit in the love, and try to relive what we were going through, while taking in a new city, and being nine hours ahead. That relationship was from 2001 to 2008. she was in the US from 2001-2004, so from 04-08 it was back and forth, four years of long distance.” 
|2008||Spooner||Director, story by|
|2011||Like Crazy||Director, writer|
|2012||The Beauty Inside||Director|
|2013||Breathe In||Director, writer|
|2015||Equals||Director, story by|
|TBA||Untitled Drake Doremus film||Director, producer, writer|
|2009||"Ten Thousand Years"||Goddamn Electric Bill||Director/writer|
|2009||Spooner||Newport Beach Film Festival||Outstanding Achievement in Filmmaking||Won|
|Sonoma Valley Film Festival||Best Lounge Feature||Won|
|2010||Douchebag||Sundance Film Festival||Grand Jury Prize||Nominated|
|Chicago Film Critics Association Awards||Most Promising Filmmaker||Nominated|
|2013||The Beauty Inside||Daytime Emmy Awards||Outstanding New Approaches - Original Daytime Program or Series||Won|
|2013||Breathe In||AFI Fest||Audience Award||Nominated|
|Chicago International Film Festival||Audience Choice Award||Nominated|
|Deauville Film Festival||Grand Special Prize||Nominated|
|2015||Equals||Venice Film Festival||Soundtrack Stars Award||Won|
|Green Drop Award||Nominated|
|2016||Jameson CineFest - Miskolc International Film Festival||International Ecumenical Award||Nominated|
|Cleveland International Film Festival||Best American Independent Feature Film||Nominated|
- Like Crazy on IMDb
- Puig, Claudiia, "'Like Crazy' wins Sundance Grand Jury Prize", USA Today, January 30, 2011
- Hynes, Eric, "2011 Festival Awards", sundance.org, January 29, 2011
- "Douchebag: Drake Doremus 2009" Archived 2011-12-29 at the Wayback Machine., Sundance 2010 report
- Equals (2015), retrieved 2017-07-19
- Shetty, Sharan, , Chicago Maroon, October 31, 2011
- "Like Crazy director Drake Doremus gets into real long-distance love". Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly. 2011-11-16. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- Like Crazy (2011), retrieved 2017-07-19
- Lyttelton, Oliver (2011-10-26). "LFF '11: Drake Doremus Says He Shot 'Like Crazy' For $250,000 On A $1,500 Still Camera". IndieWire. Retrieved 2018-09-08.
- The Beauty Inside (TV Mini-Series 2012– ), retrieved 2017-07-19
- Jagernauth, Kevin. "Watch: All 6 Episodes Of Drake Doremus Directed Web Series 'The Beauty Inside' With Mary Elizabeth Winstead | IndieWire". www.indiewire.com. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- Petski, Denise (2018-05-08). "'Like Crazy' Director Drake Doremus Inks Overall Deal With Paramount TV". Deadline. Retrieved 2018-09-08.
- Breathe In (2013), retrieved 2017-07-19
- Lee, Ashley (January 9, 2017). "Sundance Adds Donald Trump Doc, Drake Doremus' 'Newness' to Lineup". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- "Newness". Sundance Film Festival. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- Newness (2017), retrieved 2017-07-19
- Doremus, Drake (2017-07-17). "Next year for sure. Still knee deep in making it right now but we are very excited about it!https://twitter.com/betralha/status/886994692633755649 …". @drakedoremus. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- "Christina Aguilera, Rashida Jones Join Drake Doremus' 'Zoe'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- Zoe (2018), retrieved 2017-07-19
- Jr, Mike Fleming (2017-01-21). "Ewan McGregor Replacing Charlie Hunnam In Drake Doremus-Directed 'Zoe'". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- McNary, Dave (2017-05-01). "Christina Aguilera, Theo James, Rashida Jones Join Sci-Fi Romance 'Zoe'". Variety. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- Jamie DornanOnline (2018-09-01), Boss The Scent Private Accord (Full advert/short film), retrieved 2018-09-08
- "Ben York Jones". IMDb. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- "'Like Crazy' Director Sets Amazon TV Series 'White Fur'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (2017-07-18). "FilmNation Sells TV Drama 'White Fur' To Amazon With Drake Doremus Attached To Direct". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- Wiseman, Andreas (2018-05-09). "Drake Doremus To Direct Romantic-Drama 'Aurora' For Korean Powerhouse CJ Entertainment — Cannes". Deadline. Retrieved 2018-09-08.
- "Douchebag", moviefone.com, December 12, 2009
- Marine, Brooke. "Video Premiere: Soko Is Confronted with Her Exes in "Diablo Menthe" Cover". W Magazine. Retrieved 2018-09-08.
- "Drake Doremus". IMDb. Retrieved 2017-07-19.