Drakensberg Boys' Choir School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Drakensberg Boys Choir School|
Drakensberg Boys Choir School is a choir school located near Winterton, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. The school is at the foot of the Central Drakensberg mountain range. The world renowned choir is known for their perfection in the art of music. The choir specialises in a variety of genres such as jazz, pop and african music. The choir hosts weekly concerts every Wednesday at the Ken Mackenzie auditorium which is on the schools property. The choir also hosts two annual festivals every year, In April the choir hosts their Music in the Mountains festival and in December they host the Christmas in the Berg festival.
The school was established in 1967 by John Tungay with assistance from his family. It educates the members of the Drakensberg Boys Choir. Enrollment is approximately 120 boys aged 9 to 15. The school has a 600-seat auditorium constructed in 1995 and holds weekly concerts. The Choir has toured internationally.
The choir has presented concerts in the United States and across Europe and, by Papal request, at the Vatican City. They have also performed with South Korean artist Lee Moon-se. In 2017 the choir embarked on an international tour with 40 boys to Japan and in 2018 the choir embarked on an international tour to Switzerland, Austria and Germany. In 2019 the school went on a concert tour to England where they were hosted by The Barnsley Youth Choir and got to view the Lion King musical. Every year the choir embarks on an annual Christmas tour by the name of Noël Tour.
The Bala Brothers, the South African vocal trio, attended Drakensberg Boys Choir School in the 1980s and 90s. In 1988, six years before the end of Apartheid, the oldest brother, Zwai, was the first black student admitted to the school.
- "Artist: Drakensberg Boys Choir". The Coca-Cola Company. 23 April 2014. Retrieved 8 July 2018.
- Pope John Paul II (20 July 1983). "Address at a General Audience". vatican.va (in Italian). Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- Lee Moon-se (27 August 2012). "이문세와 떠나요! 비밥바룰라". Chosun Broadcasting Company (in Korean). Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- Powell, Alicia (14 May 2015). "South Africa's Bala Brothers set sights on U.S. music market". Reuters.com. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- Cragg, Michael (9 May 2012). "New music: St Lucia – Before the Dive". The Guardian. Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- Concert Review - Drakensberg Boys Choir - U.S. 3/2007, reviews by Lynn Schoch and Gene Hickman, ChoirBase[dead link]
- J. B. Lan (Jiří Bulan): Slavík z Dračích hor, 2008 May 6, in Czech about the first Czech member of the school, in English about the school
- Drakensberg Boys Choir School, Discover Our Drakensberg – Your Guide to the Drakensberg Mountains and Natal Midlands.