Draper Fisher Jurvetson
|Founder||Timothy C. Draper
John H. N. Fisher
|Headquarters||2882 Sand Hill Road
Menlo Park, California, United States
|Total assets||$5 billion|
Draper Fisher Jurvetson (DFJ) is an American venture capital firm focused on early- and growth-stage investments in enterprise, consumer and disruptive technologies. In 2015, DFJ was identified as one of the top investors of billion-dollar startups.
In 2013, founding partner Draper announced his departure from the fund along with John Fisher. Draper announced he will continue investing out of his personal fund Draper Associates and assisting his son in running an incubator.
The firm is headquartered in Menlo Park, California, and is currently investing DFJ Venture XII, a $350 million fund, which closed in 2016 and DFJ Growth’s second fund of $470 million, which closed in 2014. DFJ’s core funds have raised more than $5 billion, deployed in more than 300 companies.
As part of Draper's DFJ funds, the Draper Venture Network was set up in 1990 to franchise the ideals behind the main DFJ fund. Sixteen funds participate in the network including 11 outside of the US, including China, India, and the United Kingdom. In 2013 this network was restructured.
In 2000, DFJ Esprit was set up in London, United Kingdom, as an affiliate fund focusing on early-stage European investment. In 2015, it was rebranded Draper Espirit reflecting the continued affiliation between Tim Draper but no longer DFJ.
- "Imaginary 'Unicorns' can't compete with 22 very real billion-dollar Golden Frisbees". Upstart Business Journal.
- "What Do Baidu, Box, SpaceX, Tesla, Twitter, Tumblr, Twillo, and Yammer All Have In Common?". Startup Grind.
- "Investors Behind The Next Billion Dollar Startups". Forbes. April 15, 2015.
- "Exclusive: Tim Draper is leaving DFJ". Fortune. November 19, 2013. Retrieved March 3, 2017.
- Nordrum, Amy (October 9, 2015). "Space Advocate Makes Business Case For Private Company Exploration Of Extraterrestrial Resources". International Business Times. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- Alex Konrad (February 9, 2016). "DFJ Investor Josh Stein After Raising $350 Million Fund: The New Money Is Going Away". Forbes. Retrieved March 7, 2017.
- "DFJ Raises $350 Million For Its 12th Early-Stage Fund". TechCrunch. February 9, 2016.
- "DFJ Growth closes a $470M fund to invest in the next round of billion-dollar companies". VentureBeat.
- "Venture capital powerhouse DFJ Raises $350 million, plans to pump portion of funds into Seattle startups". GeekWire.com.
- "Draper Fisher Jurveston News". DFJ News.
- Bambi Francisco Roizen (February 28, 2014). "Heidi Roizen makes Operating Partner at DFJ". Vator.tv. Retrieved March 7, 2017.
- "Welcome to the Draper Venture Network! – Draper Venture Network". Medium. June 23, 2015. Retrieved March 3, 2017.
- Rao, Leena (June 29, 2013). "DFJ Restructures Firm Partner Network". TechCrunch. Retrieved March 7, 2017.
- Robin Wauters (July 1, 2015). "Goodbye DFJ Esprit, hello Draper Esprit". Tech.eu. Retrieved March 7, 2017.