This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Drayton Bird FIDM FRSA is a British marketing expert.
He has spoken in 53 countries for many organisations including Columbia University Business School, New York, Antai School of Management, Shanghai, The Financial Services Authority, INSEAD, The London Business School, ESIC (Madrid), IPADE (Mexico City), IPM (Lima), Mahan Business School, Tehran, Cap Gemini, and A. T. Kearney.
Much of what he discusses derive from his work with many of the world’s greatest brands. These include American Express, for whom he created a special course for senior executives, Audi, Bentley, British Airways, Cisco, Deutsche Post, Ford, IBM, McKinsey, Mercedes, Microsoft, Nestle, Philips, Procter & Gamble, Toyota, Unilever, Visa and Volkswagen.
He has also worked with major advertising agencies including Y & R, JWT, FCB and Leo Burnett and was a founding member of the Superbrands Council. In various capacities – mostly as a writer - he has helped sell everything from Airbus planes to Peppa Pig.
Starting as a journalist he became a copywriter, and after becoming creative director of a leading London ad agency quit to go into business on his own. In fact, for most of his life he has run his own businesses, risking his own money – and sometimes losing it. Over the years he has worked in PR, research, telemarketing and franchising and has run events and exhibitions.
With two partners he set up what became Britain’s largest direct marketing agency which he sold to Ogilvy and Mather, where he became Vice Chairman and worldwide creative director of what is now OgilvyOne and was elected to the Ogilvy Group Board.
His book, Commonsense Direct and Digital Marketing, out in 17 languages, has been the UK’s best seller on the subject every year since 1982. He has written 4 other marketing books, including How to write a sales letter that sells, now in its 3rd edition, and well over 1,000 columns for publications around the world. In 2007 he founded the European Academy of Direct and Interactive Marketing.
Drayton’s standing has long been widely recognised. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, was one of the first eight Honorary Fellows of the Institute of Direct Marketing and one of the first three people named to the Hall of Fame of the Direct Marketing Association of India.
He has also been given Lifetime Achievement Awards by the Caples Organisation in New York and Early To Rise in Florida.
- Altstiel, Tom; Grow, Jean (2012-11-09). Advertising Creative: Strategy, Copy, and Design. SAGE Publications. ISBN 9781483321103.
- "Microsoft tops the list of UK's top 500 Superbrands". www.brandrepublic.com. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- Publishing, Bloomsbury (2015-03-20). BUSINESS Essential. Bloomsbury Publishing. ISBN 9781408114056.
- Bird, Drayton (2007-01-01). Commonsense Direct and Digital Marketing. Kogan Page Publishers. ISBN 9780749447601.
- "EADIM". www.draytonbird.net. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- "The IDM says 'Thank you' to its supporters". www.theidm.com. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- "Drayton Bird Special Award Winner". Caples Awards. Retrieved 22 December 2015.