Dread & Alive
|Dread & Alive|
cover art for Dread and Alive #1 (February 2010) by Rodney Buchemi.
|First appearance||Dread & Alive #1 (Feb 6, 2010)|
|Created by||Nicholas Da Silva|
Dread & Alive is a Jamaican-inspired Multimedia series spanning comic books, Novels and Music written by Nicholas Da Silva and published by ZOOLOOK. It follows Drew McIntosh before, during and after being empowered by a sacred amulet created by the ancient Jamaican Maroons.
The Dread & Alive® series was conceptualized by its creator, Nicholas Da silva who is a Brazilian born writer and artist who due to mixed heritage considers himself 'Out of many one person"  like the Jamaican Moto "Out of many one people". It is the first superhero comic book with a Jamaican as the protagonist thus making it culturally relevant and boldly revolutionary in its undertaking. It's also noted as the first comic with a reggae soundtrack.
The first issue of the Dread & Alive comic book series was released on February 6, 2010, on the birthday of international reggae icon Bob Marley. The series is also one of the first of its kind to undertake charity 30% of all digital sales, and 10% of all print sales from Issue #1 will go toward non profit group HELP Jamaica! 
The first Compilation CD 'Dread & Alive: The Lost Tapes Vol.1' saw release on September 14, 2010. Since release it has met with high praise, being described as "History in the making" , “a very STRONG compilation… one of the better lineups of the year.” and “new territory in the collusion of art and Jamaican music”. The Cd is designed to be heard either alongside Da Silva’s comic book, or, as a special, standalone musical event.
Dread & Alive the Lost Tapes vol.2 was released on October 19, 2010 
Publicity and Promotions
In order to promote the series Nicholas has teamed with Reggae Festival Guide to give away an 8GB iPod Touch to one of the members of the Facebook group.
- Drew Mcintosh - the roaring lion and the hero of our story. He has Dreadlocks like a member of the Rastafari movement though his beliefs are from the Jamaican Maroons.
- Cudjoe - Drew's mentor and the leader of the Maroons of Jamaica.
- Shadowcatcher - The evil protagonist obeah man of the series.
- Maria Mcintosh - Mother of our hero and his only surviving parent
- Brandy Savage - Love interest of the protagonist
- Campbell, Howard (November 29, 2009). "Coming soon ... Dreadlock Superhero". Jamaica Gleaner.
- Davidson, Marcia (March 1, 2003). "Interview With The Creator Of The Dread and Alive Comic Series". jamaicans.com.
- "Dread And Alive new Jamaican comic book series to be released in February 2010". Camana Bay Times. January 4, 2010.
- Billen, Mark (May 19, 2010). "Dread & Alive returns!". webdesignermag.co.uk.
- Haugton, Eddie (September 8, 2010). "Dread & Alive: Every Hero Needs His Theme Music". Large Up/OkPlayer.
- Timm, Birte; Keding, Hilmar (February 8, 2010). "HELP Jamaica! teams up with a comic hero!". helpjamaica.org.
- Campbell, Howard (February 16, 2010). "Dread And Alive release". Jamaica Gleaner.
- "Dread And Alive: The lost tapes Vol. 1 iTunes release". iTunes. September 14, 2010.
- "The Lost Days Event". World of Black Heroes. September 9, 2010. Archived from the original on July 18, 2012.
- "Series creator Nicholas Da Silva talks about the music and series Dread & Alive". World of Black Heroes. September 14, 2010. Archived from the original on January 6, 2011.
- "Sahra Indio talks about Dread & Alive: The Lost Tapes". World of Black Heroes. September 10, 2010. Archived from the original on December 10, 2012.
- "Monsoon talks about Dread & Alive: The Lost Tapes". World of Black Heroes. September 23, 2010. Archived from the original on October 10, 2010.
- "Toussaint talks about Dread & Alive: The Lost Tapes". World Of Black Heroes. September 11, 2010. Archived from the original on October 23, 2010.
- "Dread And Alive release". September 15, 2010.
- Cooke, Mel (September 17, 2010). "'The Lost Tapes' for comic book found". Jamaica Gleaner.
- "DREAD AND ALIVE COMIC BOOK/MUSIC COMPILATION". soulofthelion.com. October 2010.
- "Dread And Alive: The lost tapes Vol. 2 iTunes release". iTunes. October 19, 2010.