|Single by Bobby Darin|
|Released||April 20, 1959|
|Genre||Rock and roll, doo-wop|
|Producer(s)||Ahmet Ertegun, Jerry Wexler|
|Bobby Darin singles chronology|
In addition to Darin's vocal, the song features Neil Sedaka on piano. While recording the song, Darin decided to stretch out some chord changes he found on the piano and add strings and voices.. A picture sleeve, featuring a portrait of Darin, was also issued for this record in the U.S.
It was released as a single on Atco Records in the U.S. in 1959. It became a multi-million seller, reaching No.2 on the U.S. charts for a week and No.4 on the R&B charts. "Dream Lover" was kept from the No.1 spot by "The Battle of New Orleans" by Johnny Horton. It did however reach No.1 in the U.K. for four weeks during June and July 1959.
- Dalida in 1959 made a frech cover: "J'ai rêvé ".
- A remake of the song performed by Dion recorded in 1961 is also played in full, during the end credits of Hot Shots!.
- Peter McCann released a version of the song as a single in 1982 which did not chart.
- Tanya Tucker and Glen Campbell also covered this song.
- The song was also used in the 1973 movie, "That'll Be The Day".
- The song is also featured in Barry Levinson's 1982 debut film Diner.
- A version of the song, retitled "Dream Maker" and with rewritten lyrics, appears in the pilot of the 1987 TV series Rags to Riches.
- The version by Dion is featured in the 1991 movie Hot Shots! starring Charlie Sheen.
- In 2014, the song was featured in the episode "The Immutable Truth" of Bates Motel.
- "Neil Sedaka, Still Keeping It Together". Exclusive Magazine (Interview). Interviewed by Russell A. Trunk. Retrieved April 7, 2008.
- Bobby Darin interviewed on the Pop Chronicles (1969)
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942–2004. Record Research. p. 145.
- "Dream Lover by Bobby Darin". Songfacts.
- Peter McCann, "Dream Lover" single release Retrieved June 26, 2016.