|Coordinates: 52°42′N 5°11′E / 52.700°N 5.183°ECoordinates: 52°42′N 5°11′E / 52.700°N 5.183°E|
|Established||1 January 1979|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Michiel Pijl (CDA)|
|• Total||80.59 km2 (31.12 sq mi)|
|• Land||59.89 km2 (23.12 sq mi)|
|• Water||20.70 km2 (7.99 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−1 m (−3 ft)|
|• Density||331/km2 (860/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
1606–1609, 1616–1617, 1696–1697
|Area code||0228, 0229|
Drechterland (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈdrɛxtərlɑnt] (listen)) is a municipality in the Netherlands, in the province of North Holland and the region of West-Frisia. The municipality was formed in 1979, in a merger of the former municipalities of Hoogkarspel, Westwoud and Oosterblokker. Its original name, Bangert, was changed to "Drechterland" in 1980. In 2006, the former municipality of Venhuizen was added to Drechterland.
The municipality of Drechterland consists of the following cities, towns, villages and/or districts:
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Drechterland, June 2015
The municipal council of Drechterland consists of 17 seats, which are following the 2022 municipal elections as follows:
- Jan Jacobszoon May van Schellinkhout (17th c., born in Schellinkhout) a Dutch seafarer and explorer, eponym of Jan Mayen
- Cornelis Jacobsen Mey (17th c., born in Schellinkhout) a Dutch explorer, captain and fur trader
- Wilhelmus Nuyens (1823 in Avenhorn - 1894) a Dutch historian
- Vincent Mentzel (born 1945 Hoogkarspel) a Dutch newspaper photographer, embraces photorealism
- Hendrik Offerhaus (1875 in Venhuizen – 1953) a Dutch rower and bronze medallist in the 1900 Summer Olympics
- Mathieu Boots (born 1975 in Venhuizen) a Dutch retired football player with over 250 club caps
- Thomas Koenis (born 1989 in Hoogkarspel) a Dutch professional basketball player
- Erik Schouten (born 1991 in Westwoud) a Dutch professional footballer with 140 caps with FC Volendam
- ^ "Samenstelling college van burgemeester en wethouders" [Members of the board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Drechterland. Archived from the original on 28 February 2014. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- ^ "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- ^ "Postcodetool for 1616AV". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- ^ "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2021. Retrieved 2 January 2022.
- ^ Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume 11 (1913), Wilhelmus Nuyens retrieved 16 November 2019
- Media related to Drechterland at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website