|Texas State Representative from District 72 (Coke, Concho, Glasscock, Howard, Irion, Reagan, Runnels, Sterling, Tom Green Counties)|
|Preceded by||Scott Campbell|
February 22, 1947 |
San Angelo Tom Green County
|Residence||San Angelo, Texas|
|Alma mater||University of Virginia (Darden School of Business - Emerging Leaders Program)|
Drew Darby (born February 22, 1947) is a Republican member of the Texas House of Representatives from his native San Angelo, Texas. He represents District 72, which comprises the West Texas counties of Coke, Concho, Glasscock, Howard, Irion, Reagan, Runnels, Sterling, and Tom Green.
Darby is chairman of the House Redistricting Committee and also sits on the Appropriations (as chairman of the Appropriations Subcommittee on Natural Resources, Business and Economic Development and Regulatory Agencies) and Higher Education committees.
Darby is a former member of the San Angelo City Council. He is a past chairman of the San Angelo Water Advisory Board and the Lake Nasworthy Advisory Board. He is a member of the Texas Farm Bureau, the National Rifle Association, the Texas Sheep and Goat Raisers' Association, the Tom Green County Bar Association, the State Bar of Texas, and the San Angelo Chamber of Commerce.
Darby was renominated for a fifth term in House District 72 in the Republican primary held on March 4, 2014. He received 11,697 votes (79.5%) to his challenger Shannon Thomason's 3,022 (20.5%).
A native of San Angelo, Darby was arrested in November 2013, for having brought a gun in his carry-on bag through a security checkpoint at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. On January 3, 2014, Travis County 147th Criminal District Court Judge Cliff Brown granted the Travis County District Attorney's office request to dismiss the case when the investigation found no intent by Darby to violate the law.
- "House Committee Assignments". Burnt Orange Report. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- "Rep. Darby honored for work with county » Standard-Times". Gosanangelo.com. November 15, 2013. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "Darby to get 'Friend of County Government' award » Standard-Times". Gosanangelo.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "Republican primary election returns". team1.sos.state.tx.us. Retrieved March 6, 2014.
- Enrique Rangel Lubbock Avalanche-Journal Austin Bureau (April 11, 2007). "A moving plea: Darby pushes for ASU to join Tech | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal". Lubbock Online. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- Friday, November 22, 2013. "State Rep. Drew Darby charged with taking weapon to Austin...". www.mystatesman.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- Friday, January 10, 2014. "Judge dismisses Darby's charges for carrying gun into airport". www.gosanangelo.com. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "Rep. Darby, Drew: District 72". Texas House of Representatives.