|Born||Jason Andrew Johnson
August 5, 1979
Johnson City, Tennessee
|Occupation||Political commentator and columnist|
|Known for||Founded Tennessee Center for Policy Research|
Jason Andrew “Drew” Johnson (born August 5, 1979 in Johnson City, Tennessee) is an American political commentator and former think tank executive. He was the founder and first president of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, now known as the Beacon Center of Tennessee. He later edited the editorial page of the Chattanooga Times Free Press. He is a former columnist at The Washington Times.
Johnson earned a bachelor's degree in political science from Belmont University and a Master of Public Policy degree from Pepperdine University. Prior to founding the Tennessee Center for Policy Research in 2004 at age 24, Johnson served as a policy analyst at the Alexandria, Virginia-based National Taxpayers Union Foundation.
Johnson has been a guest on the The Situation Room, Hannity & Colmes, CNN’s Glenn Beck and The Big Story with John Gibson. He has appeared on radio programs including the Mike Gallagher radio show, the Sean Hannity Show, the Glenn Beck Program, the Andrew Wilkow show and NPR’s All Things Considered.
Johnson left TCPR at the end of 2009. In May 2011 the Taxpayers Protection Alliance announced that he would join that organization as a senior fellow. During the two and a half years he spent with the Taxpayer Protection Alliance in both Nashville and Washington, D.C., he also wrote a weekly column for Newsmax.
In June 2012, the Chattanooga Times Free Press announced that he would be joining its staff on July 1 as opinion editor for the Free Press editorial page, writing editorials and a weekly column. On August 1, 2013 the newspaper announced that Johnson was terminated for violating the newspaper's standards in altering an editorial headline to tell Barack Obama to "shove it". The newspaper stated the alteration was "inappropriate" and that Johnson did not follow normal editing procedures.
- ABC News, "Al Gore's 'Inconvenient Truth'?--A $30,000 Utility Bill", February 26, 2007
- Jeff Woods, The Great Gadfly: How a baby-faced kid became the governor's No. 1 nemesis, Nashville Scene, September 11, 2008
- Boucher, Dave (May 24, 2015). "Beacon Center grows, helps defeat Insure TN". The Tennessean. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- ""Drew Johnson parted from @WashTimes over a year ago. We take umbrage with him linking to an old bio page claiming to represent us."". Twitter. The Washington Times. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- "Drew Johnson named opinion page editor for Free Press". Chattanooga Times Free Press. June 8, 2012. Retrieved 9 August 2015.
- "Drew Johnson - Biography". NewsMax. Retrieved 9 August 2015.
- "Fox News.com", "Hannity & Colmes", February 27, 2007
- "CNN.com", "Glenn Beck", May 1, 2007
- "Fox News", "Is Al Gore as Green as He Claims to Be?", February 27, 2007
- Clint Brewer Now Top Dog At TCPR, Nashville Post, October 29, 2009
- Government Waste Expert Drew Johnson Joins TPA as Senior Fellow
- Mirkinson, Jack (August 1, 2013). "Drew Johnson, Chattanooga Editor, Fired Over Anti-Obama Headline". Huffington Post. Retrieved 9 August 2015.