Drew Karpyshyn at Lucca Comics & Games, 2014
July 28, 1971 |
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
|Occupation||Novelist, game designer|
|Genre||Fantasy, science fiction|
Drew Karpyshyn (born July 28, 1971) is a Canadian video game scenario writer, scriptwriter and novelist.
Karpyshyn was at one point employed as a loan officer. Following a car accident, he quit his job and returned to college, gaining a degree in English. He got his start as a game designer for Wizards of the Coast, and he also has written two novels for Wizards of the Coast, both published in 2001 and both set in the Forgotten Realms setting: Baldur’s Gate II: Throne of Bhaal and Temple Hill.
Karpyshyn joined the video game company BioWare in 2000. He wrote the scenario and much of the dialogue for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and was one of the lead writers and planners on Jade Empire, as well as working on several games in the Baldur's Gate series. His next major project was the Mass Effect series of games. His third book, Darth Bane: Path of Destruction was published by Del Rey Ballantine Books in 2006.
In March 2000, Karpyshyn appeared on an episode of Jeopardy!, finishing third. He is a fan of the NFL's San Diego Chargers. He believes that in the NFL, Bill Belichick is most likely to follow the ways of the Sith, and Peyton Manning is the most likely to be a Jedi. Though his musical tastes lean more to what he calls “mainstream alternative," such as the Foo Fighters and Green Day, he also enjoys Sage Francis' song The Best of Times. He prefers to write at night without any music playing.
- Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
- Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
- Neverwinter Nights
- Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Jade Empire
- Mass Effect
- Mass Effect 2
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars - Darth Bane: Path of Destruction (2006)
- Star Wars - Darth Bane: Rule of Two (2007)
- Star Wars - Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil (2009)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan (2011)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Annihilation (2012)
- Mass Effect: Revelation (2007) (Prequel to the video game series)
- Mass Effect: Ascension (2008)
- Mass Effect: Retribution (2010)
- Children of Fire (2013)
- The Scorched Earth (2014)
- Chaos Unleashed (2015)
- "BIO - Drew Karpyshyn". Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- "Karpyshyn, Drew". Contemporary Authors. January 1, 2007. Retrieved October 10, 2012. – via HighBeam Research (subscription required)
- "Drew Karpyshyn". Archived from the original on Mar 9, 2009.
- Gelinas, Ben (September 16, 2008). "Spinning a gripping ... game", Edmonton Journal, p. D1. Retrieved September 29, 2011.
- "Pixels, Panels, and Prose Colloquium at University of Texas at Tyle April 14". US Fed News Service. April 15, 2012. Retrieved October 10, 2012. – via HighBeam Research (subscription required)
- Zacharias, Yvonne (February 18, 2008). "Mass Effect dominates as game of the year: Science fiction video, made by Edmonton company, cleans up at Elan Awards", The Vancouver Sun, p. D1.
- Drew Karpyshyn's FAQ
- J! Archive - Show #3577, aired 2000-03-07
- BIO | Drew Karpyshyn
- Taking a Knee with 303: Drew Karpyshyn
- A Word with New York Times Best Selling Author and NFL Fan Drew Karpyshyn | The Warren Peace NFL Report
- Star Wars: The Old Republic | News Articles
- Mass Effect novelizations
- Official website
- Drew Karpyshyn at Wizards of the Coast
- Drew Karpyshyn at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Drew Karpyshyn on Ten Minute Interviews (January 2015)
- Drew Karpyshyn Interview with RoqooDepot.com (September 2008)
- Drew Karpyshyn Star Wars Celebration VI Interview with RoqooDepot.com (August 2012)
- Drew Karpyshyn 'Annihilation' Interview with RoqooDepot.com (November 2012)
- Drew Karpyshyn Interview with Game-Spectrum at the Internet Archive (June 2007)