Church in Driftwood
|• Total||1.29 sq mi (3.35 km2)|
|• Land||1.29 sq mi (3.35 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,043 ft (318 m)|
|• Density||111/sq mi (43.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1378229|
It lies along Farm to Market Road 150, 15 miles (24 km) northwest of Kyle and 24 miles (39 km) southwest of downtown Austin. San Marcos, the Hays county seat, is 25 miles (40 km) south of Driftwood by highway. The community has a post office with the ZIP code of 78619.
Although the earliest settlers arrived in the area now known as Driftwood around 1850, the community was really established in the 1880s. A post office was among the results of the community's significant growth in that decade. Driftwood shrank almost to a ghost town by the early twentieth century; although it grew somewhat by the middle of the century, it returned to its almost-deserted state by the 1970s.
Driftwood is home to The Salt Lick, a relatively well-known barbecue restaurant, Stinson Distilling & Winery, Driftwood Estate Winery, the Wildflower Barn Event Center, Stonehouse Villa Wedding Venue, Vista Brewing and the Lazy 8 Ranch.
- Bayley Currey, NASCAR driver
- Talmadge L. Heflin, former member of the Texas House of Representatives from District 149 in Harris County
- Erin Zwiener, current member of the Texas House of Representatives for District 45 in Hays County
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Driftwood, Texas
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Driftwood CDP, Texas". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved February 9, 2018.
- Google Maps
- Zip Code Lookup Archived June 15, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Driftwood, Texas, Handbook of Texas Online, 2008-01-17. Accessed 2008-08-13.
Media related to Driftwood, Texas at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a location in Hays County, Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|