Drill, baby, drill
"Drill, baby, drill!" was a 2008 Republican campaign slogan first used at the 2008 Republican National Convention by former Maryland Lieutenant Governor Michael Steele, who was later elected Chairman of the Republican National Committee. The slogan expressed support for increased drilling for petroleum and gas as sources of additional energy and gained further prominence after it was used by Republican Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin during the vice-presidential debate.
Vice Presidential debate
On October 2, 2008, at the vice-presidential debate between Sarah Palin and Joe Biden, "drill, baby, drill" reached a new prominence. Joe Biden, referring to the energy crisis and McCain's 20 votes against funding solar and wind energy, stated that McCain thinks "the only answer is drill, drill, drill. Drill we must, but it will take 10 years for one drop of oil to come out of any of the wells that are going to be drilled." Palin responded by saying, "The chant is 'drill, baby, drill.' And that's what we hear all across this country in our rallies because people are so hungry for those domestic sources of energy to be tapped into."
Aftermath of the BP oil spill
Republicans continued to use the slogan after the 2008 election. In 2010, however, the slogan received renewed attention because of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, a major oil spill at a BP offshore drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico. The spill caused extensive environmental damages and economic losses estimated in the billions of dollars. As a result, some proponents of "Drill, baby, drill" became embarrassed about their previous support. The slogan was parodied as "Spill, baby, spill", and "Kill, baby, Kill". Two senior Republican Senators, Jon Kyl and Pat Roberts, made comments attempting to distance themselves and the Republican Party from the slogan.
- Harger, Jim (2008-10-02). "GOP election promoter urges handlers to unleash Sarah Palin". Grand Rapids Press. Michigan Live. Archived from the original on 2009-02-07. Retrieved 2008-10-23. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Top of the Ticket | Sunday shows: You better want to hear Adm. Thad Allen this weekend; he's everywhere | Los Angeles Times". Latimesblogs.latimes.com. Retrieved 2010-06-05. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Debate Transcript", The Commission on Presidential Debates, October 2, 2008. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Seitz-Wald, Alex (May 5, 2010). "Sens. Kyl And Roberts Pretend Republicans Never Embraced The Slogan 'Drill, Baby, Drill'". Think Progress. Retrieved 2010-05-13. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Rushing, J. Taylor (May 4, 2010), "Nelson says colleagues embarrassed by 'drill, baby, drill'", The Hill, retrieved 2010-05-13 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Corrigan, Patrick (May 1, 2010). "Editorial cartoon". The Toronto Star. Retrieved 2010-05-13. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Group wants boycott at gas station in Reno | rgj.com | The Reno Gazette-Journal". rgj.com. 2010-05-28. Retrieved 2010-06-05. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)[dead link]
- Rushing, J. Taylor (May 4, 2010), "Senior Republicans distance themselves from 'drill, baby, drill'", The Hill, archived from the original on May 10, 2010, retrieved 2010-05-13 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Krasner, Paul. "Behind the Sarah Palin Porn Movie". Adult Video News. Archived from the original on 27 February 2014. Retrieved 27 February 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Staff. "Drill Baby Drill (2009)". IAFD. Archived from the original on 25 January 2016. Retrieved 25 February 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Krupp, Fred, "Don't Just Drill, Baby -- Drill Carefully: How to Make Fracking Safer for the Environment", Foreign Affairs magazine, May/June 2014. Article discussed in Krupp t'v. interview Archived 2014-08-08 at the Wayback Machine, Charlie Rose, aired 05/15/2014; minutes 36-53. Retrieved 2014-07-30.