A drive-by shooting is a type of assault that typically involves the perpetrator firing a weapon from within a motor vehicle and then fleeing. Such shootings are often associated with gang violence in urban areas of the United States but also occur in other contexts. The tactic is also known in the media as simply a "drive-by". The primary motivations for a gang-involved drive-by include intimidation, terrorization, and assassination of rival street gang members. Numerous hip-hop artists have been targeted in drive-bys; prominent rappers who were killed in such incidents include Tupac Shakur, The Notorious B.I.G., and Mac Dre.
According to The Guardian, "[Griselda] Blanco was credited with inventing the motorcycle ride-by killing during her years controlling southern Florida's fledgling cocaine trade in the late 70s and early 80s." Ironically, on the night of September 3, 2012, Blanco herself died after having been shot twice in the head by a motorcyclist, in a drive-by shooting in Medellín, Colombia. Drive-by shootings are also included in the Ku Klux Klan's modus operandi, and in the first decade of the 21st century, drive-by shootings were also used by militants in Iraq, including the assassinations of Waldemar Milewicz and Hatem Kamil.
- Hutson, H. Range; Anglin, Deirdre; Pratts, Michael J. Jr. (3 February 1994). "Adolescents and Children Injured or Killed in Drive-By Shootings in Los Angeles". New England Journal of Medicine. doi:10.1056/NEJM199402033300506.
- "3-year-old boy killed in drive-by shooting identified". WKYC-TV. Cleveland, Ohio. 16 September 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- Hutson, H. Range; Anglin, Deirdre; Kyriacou, Demetrios N. (4 October 1995). "The Epidemic of Gang-Related Homicides in Los Angeles County From 1979 Through 1994". New England Journal of Medicine. doi:10.1001/jama.1995.03530130037025.
- Coleman, C. Vernon II (1 February 2013). "They Shootin': 10 Rappers That Were Targeted In Drive-By Shootings". HipHopWired. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- Dominguez, Robert (14 September 1996). "Tupac Shakur dies days after drive-by shooting in 1996". New York Daily News. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
Rapper Tupac Shakur died yesterday from wounds suffered in a Las Vegas drive-by shooting, becoming a casualty of the kind of bullet-sprayed urban violence captured in his lyrics.
- Millner, Denene (10 March 1997). "Biggie Smalls is killed in a drive-by shooting in 1997". New York Daily News. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Rapper Mac Dre Killed In Kansas City". Billboard.com. 2 November 2004. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- Luscombe, Richard (September 4, 2012). "'Godmother of cocaine' shot dead in Colombia". The Guardian. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- Robles, Frances & Bargent, James (September 5, 2012). "The life and death of 'cocaine godmother' Griselda Blanco". Miami Herald.
- Luscombe, Richard (September 4, 2012). "'Godmother of cocaine' shot dead in Colombia (Griselda Blanco, who remained under suspicion for the deaths of all three of her husbands)". The Guardian.
- "Victim Of KKK and Drive-By Shooting Opens Successful Restaurant )". NewsOne.
- Hamilton, Matt (February 28, 2016). "Mother and son are killed in a drive-by shooting outside a Carson home". Los Angeles Times.
- "Top Baghdad official shot dead: Aftermath of attack on Baghdad deputy governor: Attackers rammed the deputy governor's car and shot him dead (Gunmen have assassinated the deputy governor of Baghdad and wounded two of his bodyguards, Iraqi officials say)". BBC News. 7 May 2004. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Polish TV crew attacked in Iraq: Waldemar Milewicz was a well-known war correspondent (Gunmen in Iraq have killed a leading Polish journalist and his picture editor in a drive-by shooting)". BBC News. 1 November 2004. Retrieved 10 August 2012.