Type of site
|Automotive social media|
|Parent||W. Chump & Sons|
|Launched||November 28, 2016|
The platform features different automotive-themed 'tribes' which people can join, post to, live chat with members of and share content on. The idea of the platform is to have one site for all automotive enthusiasts to share their passions.
Tribes are categorisations and themes, allowing users to find content most relevant to their area of interest. These range from Tribes dedicated to particular makes and models, to Tribes about road trips, engineering and even remote controlled cars. The website launched in November 2016 with several selected tribe leaders to get things started. These early adopters started their tribes a week ahead of the full release to allow new fan made tribes to reach maturity before the masses are allowed entry. Each tribe has a specific theme and members join whichever tribe fits their personal tastes. Some Tribes are run by automotive celebrities such as Mark Webber, Damon Hill, and many others.
Leadership and investors
DriveTribe's CEO is Jonathan Morris, notable for his previous roles in fin-tech and with other start-ups. The CMO is Jim Murray-Jones (formerly of AutoTrader), the CPO is Tom Pugh (formerly of eBay) and the CCO is Richard Beech (formerly of BuzzFeed).
Serial tech entrepreneur Ernesto Schmitt is a Co-Founder and former CEO of the platform. Financing for DriveTribe came from, among others, The Grand Tour producer Andy Wilman, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May. 21st Century Fox and Breyer Capital have invested respectively $6.5 and $5.5 million in the platform.
DriveTribe has released an app called 'Joyride' which has been dubbed the "Tinder for cars" by The Sun. In the app, users submit photos of their cars, and get a Tinder-esque response of hot or not. This section has so far had over 4 million votes since its launch.
In April 2018, DriveTribe announced its first commercial partnership, with German car manufacturer Audi. Giovanni Perosino, VP of marketing and communications at Audi, said the partnership signalled Audi's "dedication to deliver highly relevant content to our customers and brand audiences".
In June 2018, DriveTribe launched a joint partnership with JOE Media and Renault, a six figure deal focusing on the launch of the Megane RS. Renault UK marketing director, Adam Wood, said the partnership would look to "engage a broader lifestyle market through original content production, influencer led activation and editorial support."
In November, 2018, DriveTribe CEO, Jonathan Morris, described the four elements of the company's commercial model, which include content creation, distribution, and data insights. The latter of which is made possible because DriveTribe's tech stack is built on Apache Flink.
In an article on LinkedIn, DriveTribe CSO, Richard Beech said that data captured by DriveTribe user engagement had allowed the company to connect car brands to "millennials who are affluent and open-minded when it comes to electric vehicles, or mums and dads that own SUVs, but that have limited knowledge about tyres".
The Sun on Sunday referenced DriveTribe data in November, 2018, when it ran a story claiming that British people had voted Americans as the worst drivers in the world. Founder James May commented in the article that he thought "Channel Islanders" were the worst drivers in the world.
- Fane Saunders, Tristram. "What is DriveTribe? All you need to know about Jeremy Clarkson's 'YouPorn for cars'". the Telegraph. The Telegraph. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- Davis, Ben. "We take a spin through Clarkson, May & Hammond's DriveTribe network". Econsultancy. Econsultancy media. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- Lee, Kristen. "DriveTribe Just Got $6.5 Million From Fox And We Don't Know For What". jalopnik. Gawker Media. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- "Drivetribe raises $12m Series A from Breyer Capital and Fox". Tech City News. 2016-09-06. Retrieved 2017-03-27.
- Finnerty, Joe. "New 'Tinder for cars' Joyride app launched by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May lets petrolheads vote on your pride and joy". the Sun. The Sun. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "DriveTribe seals first major partner in Audi tasked with telling electric vehicle stories". The Drum. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "DriveTribe broadens ad offering after inking deal with Renault". The Drum. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- Niekerk, Piet van. "How DriveTribe has found gold dust in engagement". fipp.com. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "Drivetribe's Modern Take On CQRS With Apache Flink® - data Artisans". data Artisans. 2017-03-09. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- Beech, Richard (6 November 2018). "LinkedIn". LinkedIn Pulse. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "Speedy Ariel Atom 4 scrambles all the senses and is the perfect 'weekend toy'". The Sun. 2018-11-04. Retrieved 2018-11-07.