Drive (1997 film)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Directed by||Steve Wang|
|Written by||Scott Phillips|
|Music by||Walter Werzowa|
|Edited by||Ivan Ladizinsky|
|99 minutes original cut|
112 minutes director's cut
Drive is a 1997 action film starring Mark Dacascos, Kadeem Hardison, Tracey Walter, John Pyper-Ferguson, Brittany Murphy, and Masaya Kato. The film was directed by Steve Wang with stunt work and fight choreography done by Koichi Sakamoto. The film was released straight-to-video.
A machine/human-hybrid prototype formerly working for the Red Chinese, Toby Wong (Dacascos), forces a down-on-his-luck, extroverted songwriter named Malik Brody (Hardison) to drive him to Los Angeles after their first meeting in a bar. He is on the run from hitmen—a hillbilly assassin/bounty hunter named Vic Madison and his inane henchman called "Hedgehog".
The US DVD, VHS and cable showings of this cult film are the "Robbie Little Cut", in which a producer on the film edited 20 minutes out of it, leaving a 98-minute running time, and replacing the original soundtrack with a techno-based score. The UK PAL "Special Edition" DVD formatted for NTSC includes not only a video transfer but a full restoration of Steve Wang's original cut, including a Dolby Digital 5.1 remix of the original soundtrack. The British DVD release is a special Director's Cut version, containing reinstated cut scenes and the original film score. Special extras on the DVD include newly commissioned interviews with cast and crew, director's audio track, and a feature on the Japanese stunt team responsible for the film's action scenes.
Deleted scenes include:
- A scene in Malik's house where Malik and Toby enter his daughters' room and they talk about his four-year-old daughter and how much he loves her.
- A scene in which Hedgehog and Madison question the existence of aliens.
- A scene after the motel fight where Deliverance hugs Toby and Malik gets a bit jealous.
- A scene in which Toby reveals he has a brother and that they were both singers once.
- A longer version of the final fight in which Toby delivers a new kick.
- Mark Dacascos as Toby Wong, a kung-fu fighter working for the Red Chinese.
- Kadeem Hardison as Malik Brody, an extroverted songwriter.
- John Pyper-Ferguson as Vic Madison, a bounty hunter.
- Brittany Murphy as Deliverance Bodine, a lady who runs a motel. She has a crush on Malik.
- Tracey Walter as Hedgehog, Vic's inane henchman.
- James Shigeta as Mr. Lau
- Masaya Kato as Advanced Model
- Dom Magwili as Mr. Chow
- Ron Yuan as Razor Scarred
- Clive Rosengren as Cantwell
- Christopher Michael as Jeb
- Ted Smith as Joss
- Sanaa Lathan as Carolyn Brody
- Drive on IMDb
- Drive at Rotten Tomatoes
- Drive at AllMovie
- Greatest Movie EVER! Podcast - Review
- Kung Fu Cinema - Review
- Kung Fu Cinema - Director Steve Wang Interview
- Micro-Shock Cinema - Screenwriter Scott Phillips Interview
- Exhilarated Despair Productions - Screenwriter Scott Phillips Message Board
- Studio-Nibble - Fan Site