Drive (1997 film)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Directed by||Steve Wang|
|Written by||Scott Phillips|
|Music by||Walter Werzowa|
|Edited by||Ivan Ladizinsky|
|99 minutes original cut
112 minutes director's cut
Drive is a 1997 action film starring Mark Dacascos, Kadeem Hardison, Tracey Walter, John Pyper-Ferguson, Brittany Murphy, and Masaya Kato. The film was directed by Steve Wang with stunt work and fight choreography done by Koichi Sakamoto. Like most of Wang's films at the time, Drive went straight-to-video but received a cult following afterwards.
A machine/human-hybrid prototype formerly working for the Red Chinese, Toby Wong (Dacascos), forces a down-on-his-luck, extroverted songwriter named Malik Brody (Hardison) to drive him to Los Angeles after their first meeting in a bar. He is on the run from hitmen—a hillbilly assassin/bounty hunter named Vic Madison and his inane henchman called "Hedgehog".
The US DVD, VHS and cable showings of this cult film are the "Robbie Little Cut" where a producer on the film edited 20 minutes of it into a 98-minute running time and replacing the original soundtrack with a techno-based score. The UK PAL "Special Edition" DVD formatted for NTSC, includes not only a video transfer but a full restoration of Steve Wang's original cut including a Dolby Digital 5.1 remix of the original soundtrack. The British DVD release is a special Director's Cut version, containing reinstated cut scenes and the original film score. Special extras on the DVD include newly commissioned interviews with cast and crew, director's audio track, and a feature on the Japanese stunt team responsible for the film's action scenes.
Deleted scenes include:
- A scene in Malik's house where Malik and Toby enter his daughters' room and they talk about his 4-year-old daughter and how much he loves her.
- A scene in which Hedgehog and Madison question the existence of aliens.
- A scene after the Motel fight where Deliverance hugs Toby and Malik gets a bit jealous.
- A scene in which Toby reveals he has a brother and that they were both singers once.
- A longer version of the final fight where Toby delivers a new kick.
- Mark Dacascos as Toby Wong, a karate fighter working for the Red Chinese.
- Kadeem Hardison as Malik Brody, an extroverted songwriter.
- John Pyper-Ferguson as Vic Madison, a bounty hunter.
- Brittany Murphy as Deliverance Bodine, a lady who runs a motel. She has a crush on Malik.
- Tracey Walter as Hedgehog, Vic's inane henchman.
- James Shigeta as Mr. Lau
- Masaya Kato as Advanced Model
- Dom Magwili as Mr. Chow
- Ron Yuan as Razor Scarred
- Clive Rosengren as Cantwell
- Christopher Michael as Jeb
- Ted Smith as Joss
- Sanaa Lathan as Carolyn Brody
- David Hayter as Cop #1
- Drive at the Internet Movie Database
- Drive at Rotten Tomatoes
- Drive at AllMovie
- Greatest Movie EVER! Podcast - Review
- Kung Fu Cinema - Review
- Kung Fu Cinema - Director Steve Wang Interview[dead link]
- Micro-Shock Cinema - Screenwriter Scott Phillips Interview
- Exhilarated Despair Productions - Screenwriter Scott Phillips Message Board
- Studio-Nibble - Fan Site