Driving Licence (film)
GCC theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Lal Jr.|
|Produced by||Supriya Menon|
|Music by||Yakzan Gary Pereira|
|Cinematography||Alex J. Pulickal|
|Edited by||Ratheesh Raj|
|Distributed by||Magic Frames|
|Box office||₹270 million|
Kuruvila Joseph, a Motor Vehicle Inspector (MVI) at Kakkanad RTO in Kochi, is a huge fan of Hareendran, a famous actor. During the shoot of his latest film, Hareendran and his crew come to know that the location they decided for shooting the climax is under the control of Navy and Hareendran must submit his driving license to get the clearance. But Hareendran's driving license is missing and he can't apply for a duplicate due to some complications at his old RTO. So he decides to take a new driving license from Kakkanad RTO with the help of Kuruvila. But due to circumstances, the fan and the superstar get entangled in a fight of their own.
- Prithviraj Sukumaran as Hareendran
- Suraj Venjarammoodu as MVI Kuruvila Joseph
- Miya George as Elsa, Kuruvila's wife
- Deepti Sati as Bhama, Hareendran's wife
- Adhish Praveen as Jinto, Kuruvila's son
- Nandhu as Kunjali, Hareendran's driver
- Saiju Kurup as Johny Peringodan
- Suresh Krishna as Bhadran, an actor
- Lalu Alex as Jagannatha Varma
- Major Ravi as Samuel Jackson(Joint RTO)
- Nandhu Pothuval as Production Controller
- Vijayakumar as Dysp Joseph Punyalan
- Aneesh G Menon as Bhadran's fans association president
- Sohan Seenulal as Anadhu Panikkar
- Vijayaraghavan as Himself (Guest Role)
- Idavela Babu as Himself (Guest Role)
- Innocent as Himself (Voice Presence)
Driving License was released in India on 20 December 2019 and internationally .
Rating 4 in a scale of 5, The New Indian Express praised writer Sachy, stating that he "proves once again why he is one of the best screenwriters in Malayalam cinema at the moment. His writing carries the sort of colour and flavour last seen in the early Priyadarshan, Sreenivasan, and Siddique-Lal films" and that "the purpose of any good cinema is to not just entertain but also deliver a wholesome community experience, which is exactly what Driving Licence does", and also praised the actors performance. Anna M. M. Vetticad from Firstpost rated 3.5 out of 5 stars and said "Prithviraj is terrific in a captivating drama on pride and pettiness, fandom and fury", and "each time you think you have cracked Driving Licence, it takes a surprising turn. This screenplay is one of the cleverest pieces of writing to emerge from Malayalam cinema in what is already a great year for Mollywood" and praised the direction, editing and actors' performance.
Malayala Manorama rated 3.5 out of 5 and stated that "The plot, which gains incredible momentum from a small thread, is actually the hero of the movie. The screenwriter and the director have been able to present it amazingly without making the audience bored" and praised the acting of Prithviraj and Suraj. Rating 3 out of 5 stars, Sify dubbed it "entertaining" and "a fine journey that keeps the viewer engaged all along", also adding: "with a tight script that has humour, emotions and drama, Sachy scores well. Lal Jr. packages the movie in an entertaining way. The visuals and the music are good" and praised Prithviraj for his "top notch performance" and Suraj for his "terrific form".
The Indian Express rated 3 out of 5 and called it "an engaging watch" and that the "director Lal Jr and his writer Sachy have conceived a solid premise that makes this meta-film an engrossing watch". Rating 3 out of 5, The Times of India wrote that the film "has all the necessary elements to keep you glued to it. Mostly, it is a kick-back-your-shoes-and-enjoy fun ride". The News Minute also rated 3 out of 5 and wrote: "In an interesting plot that falters at places, especially in the characterisation of women, you catch present-day realities and the dangers of a star-fan relationship" and "Prithviraj and Suraj play the star-fan roles admirably well".
- "Prithviraj's Driving Licence launched". The New Indian Express. 12 July 2019. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- Shrijith, Sajin (21 December 2019). "'Driving Licence' review: A delectable, wholesome meta entertainer". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- Vetticad, Anna M. M. (22 December 2019). "Driving Licence movie review: Prithviraj is terrific in a captivating drama on pride and pettiness, fandom and fury". Firstpost. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- Ajith (21 December 2019). "Driving License movie review: An interesting ride from Prithvi-Suraj". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- Moviebuzz (21 December 2019). "Review : Driving Licence review: A fine journey that is engaging (2019)". Sify. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- R., Manoj Kumar (21 December 2019). "Driving Licence movie review: An engaging watch". The Indian Express. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- Antony, Deepa (21 December 2019). "Driving License Movie Review: A hilarious no-brainer". The Times of India. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- Cris (21 December 2019). "'Driving License' review: Prithviraj and Suraj play the star-fan roles admirably well". The News Minute. Retrieved 29 December 2019.