Driving licence in Malaysia
A driver's licence (or driving licence) is required in Malaysia before a person is allowed to drive a motor vehicle of any description on a road in Malaysia under the Road Transport Act 1987, section 26(1). Under section 26(1) of the Road Transport Act, an individual must possess a valid driving licence before being permitted to drive on the road, or can be prosecuted under section 26(2) with upon conviction, is liable to fines or jail or both of them. Driving licence holders are subject to all traffic rules stated in the Road Transport Act 1987.
Types of driving licence
There are five major types of driving licence in Malaysia, namely:-
- Learner's Driving Licence (LDL) - Possessed by learners in driving schools. They must first attend a 6 hour of KPP01 or known as Safety Driving Theory, then a Section I examination or Road Laws and Safety Driving. Starting September 2014, LDL licence is issued after the candidate of Section I examination pass their exam without needs to attend Safety Driving Learning Class. licence holders are only permitted to drive cars displaying the L plate owned by driving schools under the supervision of a driving school instructor. For motorcycle learner's licence holders, they are permitted to ride a motorcycle without a pillion. The learner's licence may be renewed every 3 or 6 months but the licence cannot be possessed for more than 2 years. After the 2 years due date, the licence holders may go to Road Transportation Department (JPJ) to attend of KPP01.
- Probationary Driving Licence (PDL) - Possessed by new drivers who have passed all the driving lesson procedures and tests. Holders also need to ensure to bring along driving licence when driving. New drivers are subject to the 10-point Road Safety System (KEJARA) demerit point system, where points will be deducted according to the types of traffic infractions. licence will be revoked after a probationary licence holder accumulates 10 demerit points. Probationary drivers are required to display the probationary licence plate (marked with white capital P in square red background) at the front and back of their respective vehicles. A probationary licence may be upgraded to a full competent driving licence after 2 years, and a grace period of a year is given to upgrading the licence before the licence holder may need to restart the whole driving lesson procedures.
- Competent Driving Licence (CDL) - A full-fledged driving licence being upgraded from the probationary licence after 2 years. CDL holders are subject to the 15-point KEJARA system before their licence may be suspended or revoked. A competent driving licence may be renewed after every 1, 2, 3 or 5 years. A grace period of three years is given to renew the licence before the licence holder may need to restart the whole driving lesson procedures.
- Vocational Driving Licence - There are two types of vocational driving licence, Goods Driving License (GDL) a special driving licence to drive any type of commercial vehicle used for transporting goods such as Lorries, Panel Vans and other vehicles that are registered as a commercial vehicle to transport goods. Public Service Vehicle (PSV) is another type of vocational driving licence that allows the holder to drive any type of commercial vehicle used for paying passengers such as Taxis, Window Van and Busses, issued jointly with the Commercial Vehicle Licensing Authority (LPKP).
Classes of driving licence
The following classes are printed on the new high security driving licence:
|A||Invalid Carriage (Motorcycle) unladen weight not exceeding 450 kg||16||The applicant must submit a health check form for the application for a driver's license for disabled persons who have obtained the qualification verification to apply for a driver's license from a medical officer in a government health clinic as prescribed by the Ministry of Health.|
|A1||Invalid Carriage (Motorcar) unladen weight not exceeding 3500 kg||17|
|B||Motorcycle exceeding 500 cc||16|
|B1||Motorcycle not exceeding 500 cc|
|B2||Motorcycle not exceeding 250 cc|
|D||Motor Car unladen weight not exceeding 3500 kg||17|
|DA||Motor Car Without Clutch Pedal unladen weight not exceeding 3500 kg||Not allowed to obtain a Vocational Driving License.|
|E||Heavy Motor Car unladen weight exceeding 7500 kg||21||Have been holding class D (CDL) for at least one year.|
|E1||Heavy Motor Car unladen weight exceeding 7500 kg|
|E2||Heavy Motor Car unladen weight not exceeding 5000 kg|
|F||Tractor/Mobile Machinery Light (Wheeled) unladen weight not exceeding 5000 kg||21|
|G||Tractor/Mobile Machinery Light (Tracked) unladen weight not exceeding 5000 kg|
|H||Tractor/Mobile Machinery Heavy (Wheeled) unladen weight exceeding 5000 kg|
|I||Tractor/Mobile Machinery Heavy (Tracked) unladen weight exceeding 5000 kg|
The classes A1 and DA are new additions, while classes A and D have been redefined.
Road Safety System (KEJARA)
This system is applicable to both Probationary and Competent Driving license. This system was introduced to:
- i - Reduce accident rates.
- ii - To raise awareness of road safety towards all drivers.
- iii - Ensure all drivers to always obey the traffic laws.
- iv - Raise disciplined, responsible and cognizant drivers on the road.
- v - Take legal actions towards any drivers whom had breached the laws.
Road penalties associated with KEJARA demerit points:
- 15 points - Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs/intoxicated.
- 15 points - Excessive speeding/reckless driving.
- 15 points - Street racing.
- 10 Points - Failing to follow the traffic light.
- 10 points - Failing to display the P stickers on vehicle. (Probationary)
- 10 points - Exceeding the speed limit of 40 km/h.
- 8 points - Exceeding the speed limit of 26–40 km/h.
- 8 points - Failing to give priority towards emergency vehicles such as ambulance, firefighter, police, customs, or Road Transportation Department cruisers (with sirens).
- 8 points - Failing to stop at junctions.
- 6 points - Exceeding the speed limit of 1–25 km/h
- 5 points - Ignoring either the traffic signs or rules.
- 5 points - Using worn-out tires.
- 5 points - Failing to bring driving license along with. (Learner & Probationary)
- Lesen Belajar Memandu (LDL) saya telah tamat tempoh melebihi 2 tahun. Adakah saya masih boleh memperbaharuinya bagi membolehkan saya duduki ujian praktikal?[permanent dead link] (in Malay) - FAQ from Malaysian Road Transport Department Website.
- Sistem Kejara (Page 2) Archived November 20, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. (in Malay) - from the official page of Malaysian Road Transport Department.
- Lesen Memandu - Berapa lamakah tempoh lesen memandu tamat jika saya tidak memperbaharuinya?[permanent dead link] (in Malay) - FAQ from Malaysian Road Transport Department Website.
- - Motor Vehicles (Driving Licence) (Amendment) 2013