A drone display is the use of multiple unmanned aerial vehicles (drones), often quadcopters, flying in a coordinated fashion for public display. They are usually equipped with LEDs, and the display held at night. The first Drone Display was presented in 2012 in Linz/Austria, where the Ars Electronica Futurelab introduced Spaxels for the first time. The displays may be for entertainment, where the drones may use flocking or swarming behaviour. The drones may also be coordinated to produce images. Using this emerging technology, displays have been employed for advertising purposes as well.
Intel has produced the Shooting Star, a type of drone used in light shows. They were used during the 2018 Winter Olympics, a Super Bowl halftime show in 2017, and a 2018 4th of July celebration.
List of drone displays
- September 2012 - 49 LED-Equipped UAVs, called SPAXELS (short for "Space Elements") have been shown at this world premiere by Ars Electronica Futurelab
- March 2013 - 50 SPAXELS have been used to perfrom the Movie Premiere "Startrek, Into Darkness" next to Tower Bridge in London.
- August 2013 - 30 SPAXELS have been used to perform the opening of the new campus at QUT, Brisbane / Australia.
- November 2015 - 100 SPAXELS were used for the first Guinness World Record "Drone100" by Ars Electronica Futurelab for Intel.
- November 2016 - Five hundred drones were used in Krailling, Germany, a Guinness World Record.
- 2017 - Three hundred drones performed during a Lady Gaga song in the Super Bowl LI halftime show.
- 2017 - At the Fortune Global Forum in China, 1,180 drones performed.
- September 2017 - To mark the release of the home version of the Wonder Woman film, 300 drones displayed an enormous "W" in the night sky above Los Angeles.
- December 2017 - A swarm of 300 drones performed at Art Basel in Miami Beach.
- 2018 - During the 2018 Winter Olympics opening ceremony, 1,218 drones performed, breaking the previous world record.
- June 2018 - One hundred drones performed in Newcastle, England, making shapes to music at the opening of the Great Exhibition of the North.
- July 2018 - Intel celebrates 50th anniversary with 2018 simultaneous drones over facility in Folsom, California, for Guinness world record. Guinness credited Intel with flying 2066 simultaneous drones.
- January 2019 - Two hundred drones deployed the World's first New Year's Countdown set to fireworks and music for the New Year Celebrations on Al Marjan Island.
- July 2019 - Two hundred and fifty drones performed at the opening show of the 24th World Scout Jamboree.
- October 2019 - Two hundred drones presented the new Peugeot 208 above Paris.
- "Swarm of drones illuminates the night sky". 17 September 2018.
- "Intel Celebrates LGBTQ Pride 2018 with Drone Light Show - Intel Newsroom".
- "A Fourth of July Drone Show Helps Military Families With Special Needs".
- "Lighted drone show sparkles and wows crowd at EAA AirVenture".
- Ciaccia, Chris (19 September 2017). "Drones put on stunning 'Wonder Woman' display".
- "Dutch artists fly 300-drone "starlings" swarm in Miami". 14 December 2017.
- "Inside the Olympics Opening Ceremony World-Record Drone Show". WIRED. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Swarm of drones perform at the opening of the Great Exhibition of the North". Dezeen.com. 2018-06-30. Retrieved 2018-09-18.
- "Intel Breaks Guinness World Records Title for Drone Light Shows in Celebration of 50th Anniversary". News Byte. Intel Corporation. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- "Most Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) airborne simultaneously". Guinness World Records. Guinness World Records Limited. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- Wallace, Emily (28 February 2019). "New Year Drone Show Celebrations". Skymagic.
- "Opening Ceremony Drones". New World 19, LLC. 29 July 2019.
- "La Nouvelle Peugeot208 se dévoile dans le ciel de Paris avec un show de drones inédit en France". Peugeot France, Twitter. 6 October 2019.