Dropped A tuning
Dropped A tuning is an alternate tuning for a 7 string guitar where the lowest string is tuned down ("dropped") from the standard B by one whole step to A as follows A1-E2-A2-D3-G3-B3-E4. Also, for a 6 string guitar, dropped A tuning is achieved by tuning all strings down a 4th with the lowest string tuned 1 additional step down as follows A1-E2-A2-D3-F#3-B3. This is a "drop 1" tuning in the key of B (i.e. tune the whole guitar down a perfect fourth from standard tuning, then tune the 6th string a whole step down). As a result, it uses the same fingering as drop D tuning and drop C tuning.
An alternate dropped A tuning utilizes a guitar tuned to E Standard with the 6th string dropped to a low A, resulting in AADGBE with the 6th and 5th strings an octave apart.
Another variation of this tuning is AEADGB, which imitates a 7 on a six-string, excluding the high E.
Another dropped A tuning is AGCFAD ("drop perfect fourth in the key of the D", i.e. whole guitar is tuned down one step, then the lowest string is dropped to A).
AEADGBE / AEADF#B
- 208 Talks of Angels (on the song "Spiral Of Silence")
- Amaranthe (on some songs from their newer albums)
- Amon Amarth (on some songs from their newer albums)
- A.N.I.M.A.L. - from "Poder Latino" to "Combativo" albums.
- Blotted Science
- Chelsea Grin
- Chunk! No, Captain Chunk
- Coheed and Cambria (on the song "Gravity's Union")
- Conquering Dystopia
- C.J. Pierce of Drowning Pool (on the song "Turn So Cold")
- DragonForce (on the song "Three Hammers")
- Fei Comodo
- Filter (in the songs "Columind" and "The Missing" from The Amalgamut)
- Zoltan Bathory and Jason Hook of Five Finger Death Punch (on the songs "Remember Everything" and "Dot Your Eyes")
- Lzzy Hale of Halestorm (on the song "I Am The Fire")
- Peter Tagtgren of Hypocrisy
- Ill Niño (on its Dead New World album)
- Impending Doom
- In Extremo ("Nymphenzeit", "Sagrada Trobar" (AEADGB), "In diesem Licht", "Unsichtbar")
- In This Moment
- Ty Tabor of King's X (on the albums Please Come Home... Mr. Bulbous and Ogre Tones)
- Lacuna Coil
- Gaped (Band)
- Buzz Osborne of The Melvins
- Motionless in White
- Muse (on the songs "Citizen Erased", "Liquid State" and "Supremacy".)
- My Victory In Sight
- Like Moths To Flames
- Periphery (on their cover of Slipknot's "The Heretic Anthem")
- Pickaxe to the Forehead
- Suicide Silence
- Sunn O)))
- The Southern Oracle
- Thy Art Is Murder
- We Are The Catalyst
- Winterfylleth (on some songs)
- Within Temptation (on some songs)
- Devin Townsend (on some songs with Strapping Young Lad and earlier solo albums, and most of "Physicist")
- Every Time I Die on "Moor" from From Parts Unknown and "Indian Giver" on Ex Lives
- Filter (on "Welcome to the Fold")
- Foo Fighters (on "Stacked Actors")
- Helmet (on "Biscuits for Smut")
- Weasel Walter of Lake of Dracula
- Melvins (on "Boris")
- Neurosis (the album Through Silver in Blood and on)
- Oxygen Thief (on "Self-Righting Mechanism" from album The Half-Life of Facts and EP One Day This Will All Be Fields)
- Radiohead (on "Bangers + Mash")
- Them Crooked Vultures (on "No One Loves Me & Neither Do I", "Warsaw or the First Breath You Take After You Give Up" and "Caligulove")
- Dez and Jo of The Safety Fire
- Muse (on "Citizen Erased")
- Opeth (on "Sorceress")
- Coal Chamber (on some songs)
- Mike Mushok of Staind (usually tuned 1/2 down, but uses standard drop A on songs such as "King of All Excuses")
- Apey And The Pea
- Alter Bridge (half a step higher)
- Architects (half a step lower)
- Black Label Society
- Conjurer (half a step lower)
- Kylesa (Also used 1 full step lower)
- Nothing More
- Sevendust (1/2 and 1 full step lower)
- "Three Hammers".
- "Rig Rundown - Halestorm's Lzzy Hale and Joe Hottinger". Premier Guitar. Premier Guitar. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- "Ty Tabor of Kings X – Guitar Rig and Gear Setup – 2008". GuitarGeek. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Karl Sanders Talks About Nile's Tunings". FRET12. FRET12. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- Armstrong, Anthony. "RED: Anthony Armstrong Guitar Lesson - Feed The Machine". RED. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- "Rig Rundown - Slipknot's Mick Thomson and Jim Root". Premier Guitar. Premier Guitar. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- "RIGGED: THE SAFETY FIRE GUITARIST DERYA "DEZ" NAGLE".