|Trade names||Drolban, Masteril, Masteron, others (all as drostanolone propionate)|
|Other names||Dromostanolone; 2α-Methyl-4,5α-dihydrotestosterone; 2α-Methyl-DHT; 2α-Methyl-5α-androstan-17β-ol-3-one|
|Intramuscular injection (as drostanolone propionate)|
|Drug class||Androgen; Anabolic steroid|
|CompTox Dashboard (EPA)|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||304.474 g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
|(what is this?)|
Drostanolone, or dromostanolone, is an anabolic–androgenic steroid (AAS) of the dihydrotestosterone (DHT) group which was never marketed. An androgen ester prodrug of drostanolone, drostanolone propionate, was formerly used in the treatment of breast cancer in women under brand names such as Drolban, Masteril, and Masteron. This has also been used non-medically for physique- or performance-enhancing purposes.
|Notes: In rodents. Footnotes: a = Ratio of androgenic to anabolic activity. Sources: See template.|
Like other AAS, drostanolone is an agonist of the androgen receptor (AR). It is not a substrate for 5α-reductase and is a poor substrate for 3α-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3α-HSD), and therefore shows a high ratio of anabolic to androgenic activity. As a DHT derivative, drostanolone is not a substrate for aromatase and hence cannot be aromatized into estrogenic metabolites. While no data are available on the progestogenic activity of drostanolone, it is thought to have low or no such activity similarly to other DHT derivatives. Since the drug is not 17α-alkylated, it is not known to cause hepatotoxicity.
Drostanolone, also known as 2α-methyl-5α-dihydrotestosterone (2α-methyl-DHT) or as 2α-methyl-5α-androstan-17β-ol-3-one, is a synthetic androstane steroid and a derivative of DHT. It is specifically DHT with a methyl group at the C2α position.
Society and culture
Bolazine is when react 2 eq. with hydrazine to give dimer
Treatment of DHT (androstan-17β-ol-3-one, stanolone) [521-18-6] (1) with methyl formate and the strong base sodium methoxide gives [4033-95-8] (2). The newly added formyl function in the product is shown in the enol form. Catalytic hydrogenation reduces that function to a methyl group (3). The addition of hydrogen from the bottom face of the molecule leads to the formation of β-methyl isomer where the methyl group occupies the higher-energy axial position. Strong base-induced equilibration of the methyl group leads to the formation of the sterically favoured equatorial α-methyl isomer, affording dromostanolone (4).
- Elks J (14 November 2014). The Dictionary of Drugs: Chemical Data: Chemical Data, Structures and Bibliographies. Springer. pp. 652–. ISBN 978-1-4757-2085-3.
- Index Nominum 2000: International Drug Directory. Taylor & Francis. January 2000. pp. 377–. ISBN 978-3-88763-075-1.
- Llewellyn W (2011). Anabolics. Molecular Nutrition Llc. pp. 517–. ISBN 978-0-9828280-1-4.
- Bennett MB, Helman P, Palmer P (November 1975). "Hormonal therapy of breast cancer with special reference to Masteril therapy". South African Medical Journal = Suid-Afrikaanse Tydskrif vir Geneeskunde. 49 (49): 2036–40. PMID 1242823.
- Ringold HJ, Batres E, Halpern O, Necoechea E (1959). "Steroids. CV.12-Methyl and 2-Hydroxymethylene-androstane Derivatives". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 81 (2): 427–432. doi:10.1021/ja01511a040. ISSN 0002-7863.
- William Andrew Publishing (22 October 2013). Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition. Elsevier. pp. 1402–. ISBN 978-0-8155-1856-3.
- Karch SB (21 December 2006). Drug Abuse Handbook, Second Edition. CRC Press. pp. 30–. ISBN 978-1-4200-0346-8.
- Ringold HJ, Batres E, Halpern O, Necoechea E (January 1959). "Steroids. CV. 1 2-Methyl and 2-hydroxymethylene-androstane derivatives". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 81 (2): 427–432. doi:10.1021/ja01511a040.
- Volovel'skii, L.N. et al, Zh. Obschch. Khim., 1966, 46, 1772.
- US 2908693, Ringold HJ, Rosenkranz G, issued 1959, assigned to Syntex SA
- US 3118915, Ringold HJ, Rosenkranz G, issued 1964, assigned to Roche Palo Alto LLC
- GB 1005896 US 3249627, issued 1966, assigned to Ormonoterapia Richter Spa