Drunk Last Night
|"Drunk Last Night"|
|Single by Eli Young Band|
|from the album 10,000 Towns|
|Released||July 1, 2013|
|Eli Young Band singles chronology|
"Drunk Last Night" is a song recorded by American country music group the Eli Young Band. It was released on July 1, 2013 as the first single from their fifth studio album, 10,000 Towns, their second for Republic Nashville. The song was written by Josh Osborne and Laura Veltz. The song's narrator describes the scenario of the previous night in which, due to various influences including alcohol consumption, he was compelled to initiate telephone contact with a former romantic interest. His ensuing conversation with her apparently fails to lead to a resolution, an outcome which he believes in retrospect should have been obvious. On one level, the narrator expresses regret that the interaction was distressing for both parties. On the other hand, the song's narrative may be perceived as having a redemptive tone as the narrator implies that, through these events, he was forced to recognize his inability to 'keep it all inside' with respect to this relationship.
Billy Dukes of Taste of Country gave the song three and a half stars out of five, writing that "the chorus is melodic and memorable [but] the verses are somewhat generic and forgettable." Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave the song a favorable review, saying that "the performance from Eli Young Band is strong [and] the production showcases what has helped EYB break-out with an identifiable brand of country music."
The music video was directed by Brian Lazzaro and premiered in September 2013.
Chart and sales performance
"Drunk Last Night" debuted at number 57 on the U.S. Billboard Country Airplay chart for the week of June 29, 2013. It also debuted at number 23 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, number 79 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and number 63 on the Canadian Hot 100 for the week of July 13, 2013. It became their highest debut on the Hot Country Songs chart and sold 53,000 copies during its first week of release. As of March 2014, the song has sold 715,000 copies in the US.
Charts and certifications
|Billboard Country Airplay
December 28, 2013
by Florida Georgia Line
- "Eli Young Band Release New Single ‘Drunk Last Night’". The Boot. June 25, 2013. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- "Drunk Last Night – Eli Young Band". Allmusic. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Dukes, Billy (June 11, 2013). "Eli Young Band, ‘Drunk Last Night’ – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Bjorke, Matt (June 13, 2013). "Single Review: Eli Young Band - Drunk Last Night". Roughstock. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- "CMT : Videos : Eli Young Band : Drunk Last Night". Country Music Television. Retrieved September 10, 2013.
- Morris, Edward (June 22, 2013). "Florida Georgia Line Hits Album Peak". Country Music Television. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Jessen, Wade (July 5, 2013). "Brett Eldredge Scores First Top 10 On Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Matt Bjorke (March 12, 2014). "Country Chart News - The Top 30 Digital Singles - March 12, 2014: Brantley Gilbert #1, Cassadee Pope & Cole Swindell Platinum". Roughstock.
- "Eli Young Band – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Eli Young Band.
- "Eli Young Band – Chart history" Billboard Canada Country for Eli Young Band.
- "Eli Young Band – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Eli Young Band.
- "Eli Young Band – Chart history" Billboard Country Airplay for Eli Young Band.
- "Eli Young Band – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Eli Young Band.
- "Best of 2013: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Best of 2013: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Billboard Country Update for December 15, 2014" (PDF). Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. December 15, 2014. p. 17. Retrieved December 15, 2014.
- "Best of 2014: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Eli Young Band – Drunk Last Night". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved March 21, 2015. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH