Drunk on You
|"Drunk on You"|
|Single by Luke Bryan|
|from the album Tailgates & Tanlines|
|Released||February 13, 2012|
|Luke Bryan singles chronology|
"Drunk on You" is a song written by Rodney Clawson, Chris Tompkins and Josh Kear, and recorded by American country music artist Luke Bryan. It was released in February 2012 as the third single from his album Tailgates & Tanlines. It was also the first single that Bryan did not have a hand in writing.
Billy Dukes of Taste of Country gave the song four stars out of five, writing that it is "full of color and landscape that allow a listener to feel what [Bryan is] singing" and "has the potential to age like fine wine." Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song an A grade, saying that "it doesn't sound like a love scene being forced out into the country for genre purposes, so much as a love scene that just happens to be taking place in the country" while adding that Bryan is "helping [country music] age with dignity and a sense of humor." Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave the song a mixed review, calling the lyrics "downright cheesy in places" but went on to say that it is "certainly something the college-age fans will downright love and relate to as they live in the moment."
The music video was directed by Shaun Silva and premiered on March 23, 2012. It is the sequel to his "I Don't Want This Night to End" video, in which Bryan's character secures a ticket for the co-star of the previous installment despite his stage manager (Silva)'s skepticism.
"Drunk on You" debuted at number 57 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of February 25, 2012. The song became Bryan's first Billboard Hot 100 chart top 20 hit when it rose to number 16 for the week of June 16, 2012, and his fourth number-one single on the Hot Country Songs chart for the week of July 7, 2012. The song sold 2,089,000 copies in 2012, the third best-selling country music song of the year. It reached its three million sales mark in the U.S. in May 2015. The song has sold 3,040,000 copies as of August 2015.
Charts and certifications
by Eric Church
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
July 7–14, 2012
"You Don't Know Her Like I Do"
by Brantley Gilbert
- Conaway, Alanna (February 12, 2012). "Luke Bryan, 'Drunk on You' – Lyrics Uncovered". Taste of Country. Retrieved March 16, 2012.
- Dukes, Billy (February 8, 2012). "Luke Bryan, 'Drunk on You' – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved March 16, 2012.
- Coyne, Kevin John (March 10, 2012). "Single Review: Luke Bryan, "Drunk on You"". Country Universe. Retrieved March 16, 2012.
- Bjorke, Matt (March 2, 2012). "The Weekly Single Recap: March 2, 2012". Roughstock. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- Copper, Brittany Joy (March 23, 2012). "Luke Bryan Reunites With Long-Lost Fling in New 'Drunk on You' Video". Taste of Country. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- Morris, Edward (February 18, 2012). "Dierks Bentley Hits Home Run With Home". Country Music Television. Retrieved March 16, 2012.
- Paul Grein (January 3, 2013). "Chart Watch Extra: Top Songs of 2012". Chart Watch. Yahoo Music. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- Matt Bjorke (June 3, 2015). "Country Music's Top 30 Digital Singles: Week of June 3, 2015". Roughstock.
- Matt Bjorke (August 28, 2015). "The Top 30 Digital Country Singles: August 28, 2015".
- "Luke Bryan – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Luke Bryan.
- "Luke Bryan – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Luke Bryan.
- "Luke Bryan – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Luke Bryan.
- "Best of 2012: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- "Best of 2012 - Hot 100 Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- "Canadian single certifications – Luke Bryan – Drunk On You". Music Canada. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Luke Bryan – Drunk On You". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved June 15, 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH