Trbojević was born in Maribor, Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. He studied composition with Milenko Živković at the Belgrade Music Academy, and piano with Milanka Đaja at the same institution. He graduated in 1951 (Piano Performance) and 1953 (Composition) and continued his studies of piano with Kendall Taylor at the Royal College of Music and Royal Academy of Music in London (1954–1957). Additionally, he studied in the U.S. (1965–1966).
Trbojević has performed actively as a soloist, accompanist and conductor throughout Europe, as well as in the U.S., China, India, Iran, Egypt, Cuba, Mexico. He gave the first performances of compositions by eminent Serbian composers Vlastimir Peričić, Milutin Radenković, Vasilije Moktanjac, Petar Ozgijan, Žarko Mirković...
Trbojević was Professor of Piano at the University of Arts in Belgrade Faculty of Music, University of Novi Sad Academy of Arts and University of Titograd Academy of Music. His former students include prominent pianists of today: Rita Kinka, Istra Pečvari, Lidija Matić, Nada Kolundžija, Maja Rajković...
He has been the author of numerous compositions: Piano Concerto, Piano Sonata, Sonata for Violin and Piano, Suite for Clarinet and Piano, Sonata Rustica for Piano, Two Dances for Piano, choir scores, songs for a voice with piano accompaniment (Mother, The Dubrovnik Epitaph, In the Storm, cycle The Man's Songs)...
Trbojević wrote five books about music.
He was the first president of the European Piano Teachers Association (EPTA) and is now honorary president of the EPTA Serbia.
He was also a member and past president of the Association of Musical Artists of Serbia.
He died in Belgrade, Serbia.
References and notes
- Preminuo pijanista i kompozitor Dušan Trbojević, Blic, September 9, 2011
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Pedeset godina Fakulteta muzičke umetnosti (Muzičke akademije) 1937-1987 (1988), Univerzitet umetnosti u Beogradu, Beograd
- Peričić, V. : Muzički stvaraoci u Srbiji, Prosveta, Beograd
- Plavša, D. (1981): Muzika - Prošlost, sadašnjost, ličnosti, oblici, Izdavačka organizacija "Nota", Knjaževac
- Biography at Jugokoncert's website[permanent dead link]
- Short biography at the National Library
- Biography at MTS's website[permanent dead link]
- Biography and interview in Pančevac Online
- Dušan Trbojević on Internet Movie Database
- Books by Dušan Trbojević
- NIN about one of Trbojević's books
- A recital by Dušan Trbojević at the BEMUS music festival
- An article on the occasion of 80th birthday of Dušan Trbojević, Glas javnosti, September 10, 2005
- Jugokoncert's program for september 2005[dead link]
- Professor Trbojević's lecture about Mozart
- A lecture by Dušan Trbojević, Professor at the university of Arts in Belgrade
- "Sećanica" by Dušan Trbojević
- History of EPTA - Dušan Trbojević as the first President of EPTA Serbia in 1991
- Dušan Trbojević, honorary president of EPTA Serbia
- An excerpt from Trbojević's book "Razmišljanja o muzici"
- Trbojević' article in Politika, January 4, 2009