DuPont State Forest
|DuPont State Recreational Forest|
|North Carolina State Forest|
View of High Falls in DuPont Forest
|Named for: DuPont |
|County||Henderson & Transylvania|
|Highest point||Stone Mountain (summit)|
|- elevation||3,592 ft (1,094.8 m)|
|Area||10,473 acres (4,238.3 ha) |
|Management||North Carolina Forest Service|
|IUCN category||VI - Managed Resource Protected Area|
|Nearest city||Brevard, North Carolina|
|Website: DuPont State Recreational Forest|
DuPont State Recreational Forest, commonly known as DuPont Forest, is a 10,473-acre (42.38 km2) state forest, located in Henderson and Transylvania counties of North Carolina. The name originates from the fact that the DuPont company arranged the sale of the original tract to the state. Adjacent tracts have since been purchased and added to the state forest. Portions of the forest formerly contained a manufacturing facility for the production of X-ray film. The forest was used to shoot scenes from the 1992 film The Last of the Mohicans as well as the 2012 box office hit The Hunger Games.
Nearly 83 miles (134 km) of multi-use trails and roads thread through the forest. The forest is widely used for many recreational activities, including mountain biking, hiking, horseback riding, swimming (where permitted), wading, and kayaking. Destinations include mountaintop views (such as from the summit of Stone Mountain, and Cedar Rock), lakes (such as Lake Imaging, Lake Julia, Lake Dense, and Fawn Lake), and waterfalls, including:
Popular mountain biking trails include Ridgeline, Big Rock, Cedar Rock, and Airstrip trails. The Airstrip trail starts from near a small unused (or emergency use) airplane landing area. The Ridgeline trail is particularly noted for its long continuous, winding and uninterrupted run, with a mild downhill grade.
- Pisgah National Forest (also popular in western North Carolina for hiking and mountain biking)
- Holmes Educational State Forest (Managed by DuPont State Recreational Forest)
- Alexia Jones Helsley; George Alexander Jones (2007). A Guide to Historic Henderson County, North Carolina. The History Press. p. 142. ISBN 978-1-59629-275-8.
- Trail Guide, DuPont State Forest Recreational Forest, 3rd edition. Pisgah Map Company, 2015. ISBN 978-0-9857133-0-0.
- "DuPont State Recreational Forest Fiscal Year 2014 Legislative Report" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services. October 1, 2014. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- "NC Forest Service Natural Assets" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services. January 23, 2014. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- "DuPont State Forest - Bridal Veil Falls". Friends of DuPont Forest. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- "The Hunger Games: Filmed in Henderson County's Dupont State Recreational Forest". Henderson County Travel & Tourism. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- "» Mountain Bike DuPont Forest, trail guide Visit Brevard NC". brevardnc.com.
|This article about a location in Henderson County, North Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a location in Transylvania County, North Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|