|Single by Rammstein|
|from the album Sehnsucht|
|B-side||"Bück dich" / Remixes|
|Released||19 July 1997|
|Recorded||Temple Studios, Malta, 1997|
|Genre||Neue Deutsche Härte, industrial metal, nu metal|
|Songwriter(s)||Richard Z. Kruspe, Paul Landers, Till Lindemann, Christian Lorenz, Oliver Riedel, Christoph Schneider|
|Rammstein singles chronology|
The intro to "Du Hast".
"Du hast" (German: You Have) is a song by German industrial metal band Rammstein. It was released as the second single from their second album Sehnsucht (1997). It has appeared on numerous soundtracks for films, most notably The Matrix: Music from the Motion Picture, How High, and the home video, CKY2K, and is featured in the music video games Guitar Hero 5 and Rock Band 3. The song's title is a play on the homophones du hasst ("you hate") and du hast ("you have").
There are two versions of the song: the original version completely in German, and a second version partially in English (found on special editions of the Sehnsucht album). In the second version, the first chorus and the verses are in English and the last chorus is in German. The English lyrics are not a direct translation of the German; the original lyrics use the German homophones haben (to have), Du hast (you have). When conjugated in the second person singular form (i.e. "you"), the verbs haben and hassen (to hate) become respectively hast and hasst; there is no phonetic difference between these two words.
The first known performance of the song dates from 15 May 1997 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Over the years, several stunts have been used during the live performances of "Du hast", ranging from the dildo used in "Bück Dich", to the bow used in "Du riechst so gut". In their Reise, Reise and Liebe ist für alle da tour, flames shoot several feet into the air and Till Lindemann fired with a different bow into the air, "starting" a chain reaction that fired rockets over the audience. Being a fan favourite, it has been played in almost every concert to date since its initial performance. When performed live, the intro is always a bit longer than in the studio version.
All tracks written by Rammstein.
|1.||"Du hast (Single Version)"||3:54|
|2.||"Bück dich (Album Version)"||3:21|
|3.||"Du hast (Remix by Jacob Hellner)"||6:44|
|4.||"Du hast (Remix by Clawfinger)"||5:23|
- The UK version of the single does not include "Bück dich".
In popular culture
- The song has appeared in several TV shows, films and video games, including The Matrix, Gilmore Girls, How High, Entourage, Daria, Rock Band 3 and Guitar Hero 5.
- It was used as the opening theme to CKY2K, the second video in Bam Margera's CKY video series.
- The song appeared in the American Horror Story: Hotel teaser "Above & Below".
- In 2016, Australian deathcore band Thy Art Is Murder covered the song for the split EP The Depression Sessions.
- In Indonesia, this song was used as the Planet Football opening intro, broadcast by RCTI.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||10|
|Canada Alternative 30 (RPM)||2|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||5|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||33|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||186|
|US Mainstream Rock Songs (Billboard)||20|
- "RammsteinNicCage.com Concert Info - Amsterdam, The Netherlands - April 9, 1997". Retrieved 14 June 2009.
- Grant, Stacey (September 16, 2015). "Is The Song In This New 'AHS: Hotel' Teaser A Clue About Lady Gaga's Character?". MTV News. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- "Rammstein - Du hast - austriancharts.at (in German)". Retrieved 14 June 2009.
- "Rock/Alternative - Volume 68, No. 6, November 02 1998". RPM. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
- "Rammstein - Du hast - hitparade.ch (in German)". Retrieved 14 June 2009.