|This article does not cite any sources. (January 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Du Yu (Chinese: 杜預; pinyin: Dù Yù) (222–285), courtesy name Yuankai (元凱), was a military general of Cao Wei during the late Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history and a Confucian philosopher of the early Western Jin period (265-316). He came from Duling (杜陵) in the metropolitan region Jingzhao (京兆; near modern Xi'an, Shaanxi) and was married to a daughter of Sima Yi, grandfather of Sima Yan, the first emperor of the Jin Dynasty. Also a prolific author, Du Yu was a self-proclaimed addict of Zuo Zhuan and wrote an influential commentary to it. Du Yu was one of the most important commanders under Zhong Hui during the conquest of the rival state of Shu Han, and he also followed in leading an army in the conquest of Eastern Wu as guardian of the south. Du Yu managed to lay waste to the Eastern Wu army with great force in not the greatest of length of time, and received the surrender of Eastern Wu's last ruler Sun Hao.
Du Yu was also the ancestor of the Tang Dynasty poet Du Fu. Unlike his predecessors, Du Yu used the Zuozhuan to comment the Chunqiu Classic. He therefore combined the two books in one, which has been practice since.
Appointments and titles held
- Gentleman in the Imperial Secretariat (尚書郎)
- Marquis of Fengle (豐樂亭侯) - inherited by Du Yu from his father Du Shu
- Army Advisor (參軍)
- Chief Clerk (長史) to General Who Guards the West Zhong Hui
- Military Judge Who Pacifies the West (安西軍司)
- Inspector of Qinzhou (秦州刺史)
- Eastern Qiang Colonel (東羌校尉)
- General of Light Chariots (輕車將軍)
- Senior General Who Guards the South (鎮南大將軍)
- Director of Retainers (司隸校尉)
- Tejin (特進)
- The following two titles were granted to Du Yu posthumously
- Senior General Who Attacks the South (征南大將軍)
- Marquis Cheng (成侯)
- Pang Pu 龐樸 (1997). Zhongguo ruxue 中國儒學, vol. 2, p. 82. Shanghai: Dongfang chuban zhongxin.
- Book of Jin Volume 34 列傳第4 羊祜 杜預
|This biographical article related to the military of China is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|