|Song by Vishal Dadlani, Nandini Srikar and Shekhar Ravjiani|
|from the album Shanghai|
|Released||2 May 2012 (Full song)|
23 May 2012 (Music video)
|Format||CD single, Legal digital download|
|Shanghai track listing|
"Duaa" (English: Prayer) is a sad Hindi song from the 2012 Bollywood film, Shanghai. Composed by Vishal-Shekhar, the song is sung by Arijit Singh, Nandini Srikar and Shekhar Ravjiani, with lyrics penned by Kumaar. The music video of the track features actors Emraan Hashmi, Abhay Deol and Kalki Koechlin.
The song is composed by Vishal-Shekhar with lyrics written by Kumaar. The song is sung by Arijit Singh and Nandini Srikar with additional vocals by Shekhar Ravjiani. Srikar met Singh for the first time, during the recording of the song. It is a small song which consists of one mukhda and one antara. Towards the end of the song, Srikar performs a long alaap, which was kept as it is in the final version of the album as of the recording without any editing. Shekhar's voice is used in the song in an alaap in the interlude.
The track is a slow moving number which has a sad undertone to it and set in a semi-classical style. Vishal-Shekhar use a mix of Indian and Western sounds. The voice of a haunting cry is used, in the background of the song. The song dominates on vocals with minimum use of orchestra.
Release and success
The song was released on music-streaming platforms, along with other track on 4 May 2012. The music video of the song was officially released through the YouTube channel of T-Series on 23 May 2012.
Reviewers from The Times of India stated that Nandini Srikar's strong voice modulations match well with Arijit Singh and Shekhar's vocals.Bollywood Hungama's Joginder Tuteja commented that Kumaar does well as a lyricist in the song and "when one listens to the song, it teases listener to find out more about the film". Koimoi's Shivi felt that the 'inherent sadness' of the song was acutely conveyed by the singers and lyrics.
Awards and nominations
|2012||Mirchi Music Awards||Upcoming Male Vocalist of The Year||Arijit Singh||Won|||
- "Duaa song details". MySwar. 5 May 2012. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "Shanghai: Duaa – Video – The Times of India". The Times of India. 27 May 2012. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- "Duaa – Shanghai". Koimoi. 27 May 2012. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "In our country, being talented is not enough: Nandini Srikar". Srishti Ghosh Shinde. 14 February 2014. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Shanghai (2012) – Music Review – Hindi Movie Songs". Joginder Tuteja. Bollywood Hungama. 7 May 2012. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- "'Shanghai' Music Review: Vishal-Shekhar mesmerise with their songs". CNN-IBN. 16 May 2012. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- "Mirchi Music Awards 2013 Winners". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 4 September 2014. Retrieved 4 September 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Shanghai: Music Review". The Times of India. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- "Shanghai Music Review". Koimoi. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- "Winners - Mirchi Music Award Hindi 2012". www.radiomirchi.com. Retrieved 27 April 2018.