|Parent company||Entertainment One |
|Founder||Scott Robinson, Dan Herrington|
|Distributor(s)||Alternative Distribution Alliance|
|Genre||Americana, folk, rock|
|Country of origin||U.S.|
Dualtone Records is an American record label specializing in folk, Americana, and indie rock. It was founded in 2001 by Scott Robinson and Dan Herrington. The company is run by Robinson and the label's president, Paul Roper. Albums are distributed by the Alternative Distribution Alliance. On January 20, 2016, Entertainment One acquired Dualtone Records.
Dualtone has been nominated for sixteen Grammy Awards, winning four. The label will celebrate its 20th year in 2021.
Brett Dennen's breakout album So Much More was released in 2006. "Ain't No Reason" from that album is now over 500,000 in all in sales. The label also released Dennen's second album Hope for the Hopeless in 2008 and Loverboy in 2011.
Shakey Graves And the War Came also was released in 2014. Shakey went on to win Best Emerging Artist at the 2015 Americana Awards. And the War Came is approaching 200,000 sold with breakout single Dearly Departed over 400,000.
In October 2016 on Chuck Berry's 90th birthday, Dualtone announced an album of new material coming in 2017. Berry's 20th and final studio album, Chuck, was released posthumously on June 9, 2017. In September 2017, Dualtone (via eOne and Ole) became the official US song publisher for Berry's catalogue.
Mt. Joy was signed in 2017 and released their breakthrough single "Silver Lining" in November which went on to go to number 1 at AAA. The band's self titled album is over 160 million streams in the US. Recently the label has added Amos Lee, Angie McMahon, Hayes Carll, Gregory Alan Isakov, Kathleen Edwards and The Lone Bellow to the roster. Angie McMahon won the coveted Grulke prize at SXSW in 2019 and her breakout single "Slow Mover" was certified Gold in Australia. Gregory Alan Isakov's album Evening Machines landed at number 1 on the Billboard Americana/Folk chart on release and went on to be nominated for a GRAMMY for Best Folk Album.
- Amos Lee
- Angie McMahon
- Gregory Alan Isakov
- Hayes Carll
- Guy Clark
- Kathleen Edwards
- Langhorne Slim
- The Lone Bellow
- The Lumineers
- Mt. Joy
- Robert Earl Keen
- Shakey Graves
- Shovels & Rope
- Wild Child
- The Wild Reeds
- Vomhof, Jr., John (2005-09-16). "Navarre signs distribution deal with Dualtone Records". Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Sarles, Judy (2006-04-14). "Modest label cranks it up". Nashville Business Journal. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Rau, Nate. "Nashville's Dualtone Music Group sold". The Tennessean.
- "David Ball performs "Riding With Private Malone" On Country's Family Reunion". When the cowboy sings. 2019-07-09. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Staff, Variance (2013-02-21). "The Lumineers Album Goes Platinum Following Grammy Surge". Variance Magazine. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- "The Lumineers: 2012 Debut Album Goes 'Triple Platinum' – RIAA – US Record Sales". full in bloom. 2018-06-14. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- "56th Annual GRAMMY Awards Winners & Nominees". Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "2015 Americana Awards: Shakey Graves, Sturgill Simpson & Lucinda Williams Win Big Honors". Billboard. 2015-09-17. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- "The Lumineers Score Their First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- Sisario, Ben (2016-10-18). "Roll Over Beyoncé: Chuck Berry Announces a Surprise Album". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "Dualtone to Handle Chuck Berry U.S. Publishing Rights: Exclusive". Billboard.
- "Mt. Joy's Debut Single Hits #1 On Triple A Radio". Top40-Charts.com. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- "The 2019 Grulke Prize Winners". SXSW. 2019-03-16. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- "Gregory Alan Isakov & LANY Debut On Emerging Artists Chart". Billboard. 2018-10-17. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- "Gregory Alan Isakov nominated for Best Folk Album". Grateful Web. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- "Independent Albums Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 2020-06-22.