Duarte High School
|Duarte High School|
|1565 E Central Ave
|School district||Duarte Unified School District|
Duarte High School is a public high school located in Duarte, California and is part of Duarte Unified School District. Duarte High School currently[when?] has 1227 students enrolled. Their mascot is the falcon. It was recognized as a California Distinguished School in 2007 for its high test scores and academic achievement.
Duarte High was recognized in Newsweek as one of the top public high schools in the United States. See below for detailed rankings.
Duarte High School's fiercest rivalry is with their local neighbor, the Monrovia Wildcats.
- Duarte School first opened in 1909 in the old schoolhouse that is now The Old Spaghetti Factory. Duarte High School opened in 1958. Prior to that time Duarte high school students attended Monrovia High School. (The Wildcats.)
- Duarte High School is a part of the Montview league and has a myriad of extra curricular activities ranging from clubs to sports. In 2010 Duarte implemented academies, allowing students to take classes that are aimed to focus on their interests. In addition, these academies allow the students to share similar classes with those students in the same academy. The goal of implementing academies is to prepare students for advanced education as well as furthering their knowledge in a desired field.
- Duarte High School participates in the Montview League for local schools.
- During the 2010 track and field season John Dawod went undefeated in the 100m and 200m dash and won league champion for both as a sophomore.
- On April 26, 2013, Duarte High's Boy's Tennis ends the tennis season as the undefeated team of Montview League, led by first season head coach Byron Leung.
- April 30, 2015, Duarte High's Boy's Tennis team finishes as undefeated League Champions for their third consecutive year.
- In April 2003 Duarte High School and fellow schools in the Duarte Unified School District Performed their first musical "Evening on Broadway"
- On April 16, 2007, Duarte High School became a California Distinguished School.
- On April 17, 2007, Duarte High School received the Title 1 Academic Achievement Award.
- Duarte High's Solar Boat Team (in association with Pamela Park) placed 1st in Novice for the 2007 Solar Cup at Lake Skinner.
- On February 7, 2008, Duarte High School's Academic Decathlon (known as Falcon Academic Decathlon) placed 2nd in LA County, earning a "wild card" slot for the state finals in Sacramento, CA.
- On March 10, 2008, Duarte High School's Academic Decathlon team scored enough points in the State competition to qualify to compete in the National on-line competition representing the "Medium-Sized School" category.
- On May 8, 2008, Duarte High School's Academic Decathlon team placed first in the National "Medium-Sized School" virtual competition.
- Dennis Weathersby, NFL Player
- Bill Melton, MLB player
- Nate Jacquet, NFL player
- Daimon Shelton, NFL player
- Johnny Santos, member of band Spineshank and Silent Civilian
- Carlos Fisher, MLB player
- Mohamed Trafeh, Olympian
- Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Japanese-American Actor
- Francisco A. Martinez Flores, Fallen Soldier
- Mike Harris, NFL player
- Sam Shepard, American playwright, actor, and television and film director
The table below shows the rankings that Duarte High School received since being recognized as Newsweek's America's Top Public Schools in 2006.
- 2008 - #1264
- 2007 - #1286
- 2006 - #1115
- Congressional Record Online: FRANCISCO A. MARTINEZ FLORES POST OFFICE