Dubai Desert Rock Festival
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dubai Desert Rock Festival|
Dubai Desert Rock Fest
|Location(s)||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|Founded by||Center Stage Management|
The Dubai Desert Rock Festival was an event celebrating various styles of rock and metal music on one stage in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Dubai Desert Rock was originally a one-day festival, but it was expanded over two days in 2007 and 2008, before its eventual cancellation after the 2009 event.
Dubai Desert Rock developed into a full-day festival and featured rock bands from around the world, including Machine Head, Sepultura, Within Temptation and headliners The Darkness. Saxon were scheduled to appear but were forced to cancel due to a family emergency. Frontman Biff Byford appeared via video to explain the situation and assured fans that they would be there for next year's festival.
The Line up for this year on March 18 included :
- Mannikind - Reel Big Fish - Testament - 3 Doors Down - Megadeth
The year 2008 marked the festival's 5th anniversary and was the biggest rock festival to be held in Dubai to date. The festival was held in Dubai Festival City. There was a 50m suspended bar in the air as a world premiere.
- Machine Head
- Killswitch Engage
- As I Lay Dying
- The Galeej Gurus (Shamal winner)
Dubai Desert Rock Festival 2009 took place at Dubai Festival City on March 6. The event was a one-day affair (in contrast to the previous two editions) and focused on heavy metal. Opeth, Chimaira, Arch Enemy, August Burns Red and Nervecell performed, with Motörhead headlining.
In February 2010, the organisers of the Dubai Desert Rock Festival (Center Stage Management) announced that they were not going to be holding the festival, in an effort to 'extend the reach of the company'.
CSM's Managing Director, explained:
“This decision was not taken lightly and was well thought-through with my team in my company’s best interests. It marks the beginning of a new era for CSM, a human-sized yet international entertainment-specialized company, which I’ve chosen to grow beyond UAE boundaries. I have focused uniquely on the Middle East in the past 10 years, which has positioned CSM to build a credible and reputable name; it’s now time to take it to another level. We’ve always taken pride in producing top-quality events which is why in order to develop my company in a professional manner (to equal its standards), we will focus on our international projects and artist management, until further notice”.
- "Dubai Desert Rock Festival at Dubai Country Club (Dubayy) on 16 Mar 2006". Last.fm. Retrieved 2018-05-28.
- Blabbermouth.net - ROBERT PLANT Confirmed For Dubai's DESERT ROCK FESTIVAL - Feb. 20, 2007 Archived February 25, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Tibu, Florin. "Wet T-Shirt Contest @ Dubai Desert Rock Festival". softpedia. Retrieved 2018-05-28.
- Dubai Desert Rock Festival 2008
- Shamal details
- shamalbattle.com Archived March 3, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- 2009 headliners
- "Center Stage Management". Csmme.com. Archived from the original on 2013-01-17. Retrieved 2013-03-17.
- Dubai Desert Rock Festival website
- Center Stage Management website
- Battle of the band contest website
- Interviews with top bands at 2008 Dubai Festival