Dubai World Cup
|Group 1 race|
The world's richest horse race
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Distance||2,000 metres (about 10 furlongs)|
|Qualification||Northern Hemisphere 4yo+ & Southern Hemisphere 3yo+|
|Weight||SH 3yo: 54.5kg.|
NH & SH 4yo+: 57kg
|Purse||US$12 million (2019 race)|
|Dubai Millennium||Behrens||Public Purse|
|Silver Charm||Swain||Loup Sauvage|
|Cigar||Soul Of The Matter||L'Carriere|
The Dubai World Cup (Arabic:كأس دبي العالمي) is a Thoroughbred horse race held annually since 1996 and contested at the Meydan Racecourse (Arabic:ميدان) which in Arabic suggests a place where people congregate and compete, a sort of meeting point in the Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The race is operated through the Emirates Racing Authority (ERA) whose Chairman is Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Presidential Affairs of the United Arab Emirates. It offers nine races, consisting of eight Thoroughbred contests and one Purebred Arabian contest.
The Dubai World Cup, the final race of Dubai World Cup night, was created in 1996 by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai who owns Darley Stud & Godolphin Racing, one of the world's leading Thoroughbred breeding and racing operations.
Annually held on the last Saturday in March, the Dubai World Cup is part of the Dubai World Cup Night of races. Since its 2019 running, the race has carried a purse of $12 million, regaining its place as the world's richest horse race, a record held by the Pegasus World Cup in 2017 and 2018. It is a Group 1 flat race on dirt for Northern Hemisphere Thoroughbred four-year-olds & up and for Southern Hemisphere Thoroughbred three-year-olds & up run over a distance of 2,000 metres (about 10 furlongs) in late March. It was held at Nad Al Sheba Racecourse before 2009. In 2010, the Dubai World Cup was first held at the new Meydan Racecourse on March 27, on all-weather surface known as Tapeta. However, it was held as dirt race again in 2015 due to the high maintenance cost and being an unpopular condition among American participants.
- 2:01.61 (synthetic) - African Story (2014) since the race has been at Meydan Racecourse
- 2:01.38 (dirt) - Thunder Snow (2018) since Meydan was converted from synthetic to dirt
- 1:59.50 - Dubai Millennium (2000) at Nad Al Sheba Racecourse
- 2 - Thunder Snow (2018, 2019)
Most wins by an owner:
- 8 - Godolphin Racing (2000, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019)
Most wins by a jockey:
- 4 - Jerry Bailey (1996, 1997, 2001, 2002)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 9 - Saeed bin Suroor (1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019)
Winners Dubai World Cup
- 2012 - Toni Braxton
- 2013 - Seal
- 2014 - Jennifer Lopez
- 2015 - Kylie Minogue
- 2016 - Janet Jackson
- 2017 - Sia with Maddie Ziegler
- Official site
- Dubai World Cup 2013 - Dubai Calendar - Dubai Events Official Listing
- The National Topics - Dubai World Cup
- Official results from the Emirates Racing Authority:
1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Meaning of “meydan” ميدان, dubaiblog.it, 1 April 2012, accessed 1 April 2012.
- Appena terminata la Dubai World Cup 2012, dubaiblog.it, 1 April 2012, accessed 1 April 2012.
- "African Story pedigree". equineline.com. 2014-03-07. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Hamad, Marwa. "Sia dons her wig during theatrical Dubai gig", Gulf News, March 26, 2017