Dubai World Cup
|Group One race|
The world's richest horse race
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Distance||2,000 metres (about 10 furlongs)|
|Qualification||Northern Hemisphere 4yo+ & Southern Hemisphere 3yo+|
|Weight||SH 3yo: 54.5kg.
NH & SH 4yo+: 57kg
The Dubai World Cup (Arabic:كأس دبي العالمي) is a Thoroughbred horse race held annually since 1996 and contested at the Meydan Racecourse (Arabic:ميدان) which in Arabic suggests a place where people congregate and compete, a sort of meeting point in the Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The race is operated through the Emirates Racing Authority (ERA) whose Chairman is Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Presidential Affairs of the United Arab Emirates. It offers nine races, consisting of eight Thoroughbred contests and one Purebred Arabian contest.
The Dubai World Cup, the final race of Dubai World Cup night, was created in 1996 by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai who owns Darley Stud & Godolphin Racing, one of the world's leading Thoroughbred breeding and racing operations.
Annually held on the last Saturday in March, the Dubai World Cup is part of the Dubai World Cup Night of races, and has carried a purse of USD ten million since 2010, making it the world's richest horse race. It is a Group 1 flat race on dirt for Northern Hemisphere Thoroughbred four-year-olds & up and for Southern Hemisphere Thoroughbred three-year-olds & up run over a distance of 2,000 metres (about 10 furlongs) in late March. It was held at Nad Al Sheba Racecourse before 2009. In 2010, the Dubai World Cup was first held at the new Meydan Racecourse on March 27, on all-weather surface known as Tapeta. However, it was held as dirt race again in 2015 due to the high maintenance cost and being an unpopular condition among American participants.
- 2:01.61 - African Story (2014) since the race has been at Meydan Racecourse
- 1:59.50 - Dubai Millennium (2000) at the previous location
- No horse has ever won this race more than once.
Most wins by an owner:
- 6 - Godolphin Racing (2000, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2012, 2014)
Most wins by a jockey:
- 4 - Jerry Bailey (1996, 1997, 2001, 2002)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 7 - Saeed bin Suroor (1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2014, 2015)
Winners Dubai World Cup
- Official site
- Dubai World Cup 2013 - Dubai Calendar - Dubai Events Official Listing
- The National Topics - Dubai World Cup
- Official results from the Emirates Racing Authority:
1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Meaning of “meydan” ميدان, dubaiblog.it, 1 April 2012, accessed 1 April 2012.
- Appena terminata la Dubai World Cup 2012, dubaiblog.it, 1 April 2012, accessed 1 April 2012.
- Well Armed spectacular in Dubai World Cup, racingpost.com, 28 March 2009, accessed 28 March 2009.
- "African Story pedigree". equineline.com. 2014-03-07. Retrieved 2014-03-29.