Dublin Ballyfermot (Dáil Éireann constituency)
|Former Dáil Éireann
|County/City council||Dublin City|
Dublin Ballyfermot was a short-lived parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas from 1977 to 1981. The constituency elected 3 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs) to the Dáil, using the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
The constituency was created in 1977, under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1974, taking in parts of the former Dublin South West constituency, as part of the redistribution of constituencies which attempted to secure the re-election of the outgoing Fine Gael–Labour Party government. The constituency was abolished in 1981 with most of it becoming part of the new constituency of Dublin West.
It covered Ballyfermot, together with most of the Crumlin and Kilmainham areas of Dublin city. It consisted of the following wards of the county borough of Dublin: Ballyfermot A, Ballyfermot B, Ballyfermot C, Ballyfermot D, Ballyfermot E, Ballyfermot F, Ballyfermot G, Crumlin A, Crumlin B, Crumlin C, Crumlin E, Kilmainham A, Kilmainham C.
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Dublin Ballyfermot 1977–1981|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
1977 general election
|1977 general election: Dublin Ballyfermot|
|Labour Party||John O'Connell||8,308||32.7||1|
|Fine Gael||Jim Mitchell||4,223||16.6||2|
|Fianna Fáil||Eileen Lemass||4,253||16.7||3|
|Fianna Fáil||Joseph Dowling||3,414||13.4|
|Fianna Fáil||Lauri Corcoran||2,778||10.9|
|Sinn Féin (Workers' Party)||Tomás Mac Giolla||1,385||5.4|
|Fine Gael||William Brady||689||2.7|
|Electorate: 37,427 Valid: 25,445 Quota: 6,362 Turnout: 68.0%|
- Parliamentary constituencies in the Republic of Ireland
- Politics of the Republic of Ireland
- List of historic Dáil Éireann constituencies
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1974: Schedule (Constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- Walker, Brian M, ed. (1992). Parliamentary election results in Ireland, 1918–92. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy. ISBN 0-901714-96-8. ISSN 0332-0286.
- "General election 1977: Dublin Ballyfermot". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 6 March 2009.