Dublin Rathdown (Dáil Éireann constituency)
|County/City council||Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown|
Dublin Rathdown is a parliamentary constituency which will be represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas, from the next Irish general election. The constituency will elect 3 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs). The method of election is the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
History and boundaries
The Constituency Commission proposed in its 2012 report that at the next general election a new constituency called Dublin Rathdown be created. The report proposed changes to the constituencies of Ireland so as to reduce the total number of TDs from 166 to 158.
It was established by the Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013. Dublin Rathdown will largely replace the existing constituency of Dublin South, with the electoral divisions in Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown of Cabinteely-Loughlinstown, Foxrock-Carrickmines, Foxrock-Torquay and Stillorgan-Leopardstown being transferred to the Dún Laoghaire constituency; and the electoral divisions in South Dublin of Ballyboden, Edmondstown, Firhouse-Ballycullen, Firhouse-Knocklyon, Rathfarnham-Ballyroan, Rathfarnham-Butterfield, Rathfarnham-Hermitage, Rathfarnham-St. Enda's, Rathfarnham Village being transferred to the Dublin South–West constituency.
The 2013 Act defines the constituency as:
- "In the county of Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown the electoral divisions of:
- Ballinteer-Broadford, Ballinteer-Ludford, Ballinteer-Marley, Ballinteer-Meadowbroads, Ballinteer-Meadowmount, Ballinteer-Woodpark, Churchtown-Castle, Churchtown-Landscape, Churchtown-Nutgrove, Churchtown-Orwell, Churchtown-Woodlawn, Clonskeagh-Belfield, Clonskeagh-Farranboley, Clonskeagh-Milltown, Clonskeagh-Roebuck, Clonskeagh-Windy Arbour, Dundrum-Balally, Dundrum-Kilmacud, Dundrum-Sandyford, Dundrum-Sweetmount, Dundrum-Taney, Glencullen, Stillorgan-Deerpark, Stillorgan-Kilmacud, Stillorgan-Merville, Stillorgan-Mount Merrion, Tibradden."
- "Constituency Commission Report 2012 – Dublin area" (PDF). Constituency Commission. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Constituency Commission Report 2012 – Introduction and summary of recommendation" (PDF). Constituency Commission. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 7 April 2013.