Castle of Dux and the town square
|Region||Ústí nad Labem|
|First mentioned||11th century|
|• Mayor||Zbyněk Šimbera|
|• Total||15.40 km2 (5.95 sq mi)|
|Elevation||201 m (659 ft)|
|• Density||550/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Duchcov (Czech pronunciation: [ˈduxtsof]; German: Dux) is a town in the Teplice District in the Ústí nad Labem Region of the Czech Republic. It has a population around 8,500 and is located at the foot of the Ore Mountains. It is also the site of the Castle of Dux.
The first documented reference to the town is from 1207, referring to the older name Hrabišín. A brewery was established in 1675.
Until 1918, Dux (bilingual names Dux – Duchov at the end of the 19th century) was part of the Austrian monarchy (Austria side after the compromise of 1867), head of the district with the same name, one of the 94 Bezirkshauptmannschaften in Bohemia.
A post-office was opened in July 1857.
In 1938, it was occupied by the Nazi army as one of the municipalities in Sudetenland. The German speaking population was expelled in 1945 (further to the Beneš decrees) and replaced by Czech settlers.
Castle of Dux
The castle was built in the 13th century as a fort. In the 18th century Giacomo Casanova spent his last years in the castle. In the 19th century it was rebuilt in the classicist style. As of 2008, the Castle of Dux is open to visitors.
- Giacomo Casanova (1725–1798), Italian adventurer, stayed in Dux for 13 years as a librarian and died in the Dux Castle
Twin towns — sister cities
- "Population of municipalities of the Czech republic". Czech Statistical Office. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- Not yet Duchcov, according to Klein post-office 957.
- Die postalischen Abstempelungen auf den österreichischen Postwertzeichen-Ausgaben 1867, 1883 und 1890, Wilhelm Klein, 1967
- Handbook of Austria and Lombardy-Venetia Cancellations on the Postage Stamp Issues 1850-1864, by Edwin Mueller, 1961.
- "Partnerská města" (in Czech). Město Duchcov. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Duchcov.|