Duchess Marie Louise of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
|Duchess Marie Louise of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
|Duchess consort of Saxe-Altenburg|
31 March 1803|
|Died||26 October 1862
|Spouse||Georg, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg|
|Issue||Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg
Prince Albrecht Frederick
|House||House of Mecklenburg
House of Saxe-Altenburg
|Father||Frederick Louis, Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
|Mother||Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna of Russia|
Duchess Marie Louise of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (German: Herzogin Marie Luise Friederike Alexandrine Elisabeth Charlotte Catherine Mecklenburg-Schwerin; 31 March 1803 – 26 October 1862) was daughter of Frederick Louis, Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and consort of Georg, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg.
Marie Louise was born at Ludwigslust, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, second child and first daughter of Frederick Louis, Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1778–1819), (son of Frederick Francis I, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Princess Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg) and his wife, Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna of Russia (1784–1803), (daughter of Paul I of Russia and Duchess Sophie Dorothea of Württemberg).
Marie Louise married 7 October 1825 at Ludwigslust to Georg, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg (1796–1853), son of Frederick, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg, and his wife, Duchess Charlotte Georgine of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.
They had three children:
- Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg (b. Hildburghausen, 16 September 1826 – d. Altenburg, 7 February 1908); married Princess Agnes of Anhalt-Dessau.
- Prince Albrecht Frederick August (b. Hildburghausen, 31 October 1827 – d. Ludwigslust, 28 May 1835).
- Prince Moritz of Saxe-Altenburg (b. Eisenberg, 24 October 1829 – d. Arco, Italy, 13 May 1907); married Princess Augusta of Saxe-Meiningen.
Titles and Styles
- 31 March 1803 – 7 October 1825: Her Highness Duchess Marie Louise of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
- 7 October 1825 – 30 November 1848: Her Highness Duchess George of Saxe-Altenburg
- 30 November 1848 – 3 August 1853: Her Highness The Duchess of Saxe-Altenburg
- 3 August 1853 – 26 October 1862: Her Highness The Dowager Duchess of Saxe-Altenburg
Notes and sources
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas - Marie, Herzogin von Mecklenburg-Schwerin[permanent dead link]
- thePeerage.com - Marie Luise Friederike Herzogin von Mecklenburg-Schwerin
- The Royal House of Stuart, London, 1969, 1971, 1976, Addington, A. C., Reference:
- Het Groothertogelijk Huis Mecklenburg, Bergen-op-Zoom, 1901–1902, Juten, W. J. F., Reference: page 112
Duchess Marie Louise of Mecklenburg-SchwerinBorn: 31 March 1803 Died: 26 October 1862
Amelia of Württemberg
|Duchess consort of Saxe-Altenburg
30 November 1848 – 3 August 1853
Agnes of Anhalt-Dessau