Marie Thérèse, Duchess of Montpensier
|prev. Countess of Clermont
Duchess of Montpensier
12 November 1934 |
Schloss Altshausen, Altshausen, Germany
|Spouse||Prince Henri, Count of Clermont|
|Issue||Princess Marie Isabelle of Liechtenstein
Prince François, Count of Clermont
Prince Jean, Duke of Vendôme
Prince Eudes, Duke of Angoulême
|House||Württemberg (by birth)
Orléans (by marriage)
|Father||Philipp Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg|
|Mother||Archduchess Rosa of Austria|
|French royal family
HRH The Count of Paris
Duchess Marie Thérèse of Württemberg (German: Marie Therese Nadejda Albertine Rosa Philippine Margarethe Christine Helene Josepha Martina Leopoldine Herzogin von Württemberg; born 12 November 1934,) also known as Duchess of Montpensier, is a German-born aristocrat. A daughter of the claimant to the royal throne of Württemberg, abolished in 1918, she was the first wife of Henri d'Orléans, Count of Clermont (who now bears the titles Count of Paris and Duke of France as) current Orléanist claimant to the French throne.
Marie Therese was the fifth child and fourth daughter of Philipp Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg and his second wife Archduchess Rosa of Austria, Princess of Tuscany. She was born at Altshausen Castle, Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
Marriage and issue
Marie Therese married Prince Henri d'Orléans, second child and eldest son of Henri, Count of Paris and his wife Princess Isabelle of Orléans-Braganza, on 5 July 1957 in Dreux, Eure-et-Loir, France. Upon their marriage, Prince Henri was created Count of Clermont by his father. Three years later, her younger brother Carl, Duke of Württemberg, would marry Henri's younger sister, Princess Diane d'Orléans.
Marie Therese and Henri had five children:
- Marie d'Orléans (born 1959, married to Prince Gundakar of Liechtenstein (born 1949).
- François d'Orléans (born 1961) Count of Clermont, severely disabled from toxoplasmosis.
- Blanche Elisabeth Rose Marie d'Orléans (born 10 September 1962, Ravensburg), severely disabled from toxoplasmosis.
- Jean d'Orléans (born 19 May 1965), Duke of Vendôme and Dauphin de Viennois, married to Philomena de Tornos y Steinhart
- Eudes d'Orléans (born 18 March 1968), Duke of Angoulême, married to Marie-Liesse de Rohan-Chabot (born 29 June 1969).
Marie Therese and Henri were legally separated on 23 February 1977, divorced on 3 February 1984, and the marriage was canonically annulled in March 2009. Upon her divorce from Prince Henri in 1984, she was created Duchess of Montpensier in her own right by her former father-in-law, Henri, Count of Paris, then head of the Orléans dynasty.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 12 November 1934 – 5 July 1957: Her Royal Highness Duchess Marie Therese of Württemberg
- 5 July 1957 – 3 February 1984: Her Royal Highness The Countess of Clermont
- 3 February 1984 – present: Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Montpensier
- Darryl Lundy (10 March 2007). "Maria Theresa Herzogin von Württemberg". thePeerage.com. Retrieved 14 August 2009. External link in
- "Royal Genealogy Site". Paul Theroff. Retrieved 14 August 2009.
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Hauser Band XVI., Limburg an der Lahn, 2001, p. 181[ISBN missing]
- Desnos, Marie (28 September 2009). "Henri d'Orléans: le mariage de l'amour et de la discorde". Paris Match. Retrieved 18 October 2012.