|Industry||Food and beverage|
Duck, North Carolina, U.S.
|Headquarters||6230 Carlisle Pike|
Hampden Township, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Number of locations
|69 shops (July 2018)|
|Russell DiGilio (CEO)|
|Revenue||US$32 million (2017)|
Duck Donuts is an American doughnut company based in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. Duck Donuts was founded in 2006 in Duck, North Carolina, by Russ DiGilio and Robin Griffith, and has since expanded to sixty-nine locations in the United States (as of July 2018). The chain's products include customizable, made-to-order doughnuts, other baked goods, and a range of beverages.
History and operations
Headquartered at 6230 Carlisle Pike in Hampden Township, near Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, Duck Donuts was founded in 2006 by Russell "Russ" DiGilio, who saw a need for "warm, fresh, made-to-order doughnuts", and Robin Griffith. Both natives of Delaware County, Pennsylvania, the duo met in 1992 while working in the assisted living industry.
Prior to Duck Donuts, there were no doughnut shops in North Carolina's Outer Banks. The first Duck Donuts shop was opened in Duck, North Carolina, from which the chain got its name, followed by a second location in Kitty Hawk. The third and fourth Duck Donut shops were opened in Corolla and Kill Devil Hills respectively.
For half a decade, Duck Donuts was limited to the Outer Banks, but after receiving numerous inquiries about franchising, DiGiglio finally decided to establish the Duck Donuts Franchising Company; the first franchise location was opened in Williamsburg, Virginia, in 2013. Thereafter, the franchise began expanding to other states including Florida, New Jersey, and Georgia. According to a July 2018 Franchising.com article, there are "69 open franchise locations 140 additional contracts in 23 states and two countries". In May 2018, Duck Donuts opened its first New York location in Hauppauge,  and two months later in July they opened their inaugural West Coast location in Huntington Beach, CA. 
Charitable contributions and services
In March 2017, Duck Donuts announced its partnership with the Nashville-based nonprofit organization Gabe's Chemo Duck Program for children with cancer, and raised some $75,000 in September via its countrywide "Quack Gives Back" initiative.
Duck Donuts' menu predominantly comprises doughnuts, sandwiches, coffee, and desserts. The "cake doughnuts" at Duck Donuts are made-to-order and customizable, with topping options including "chopped bacon" and peanuts. The entire doughnut-making process is automated using doughnut makers from Belshaw Adamatic. Among the four kinds of breakfast sandwiches sold by Duck Donuts is the OBX, which is described as "a sliced doughnut with egg, cheese, sausage or bacon and topped with maple drizzle and chopped bacon". Duck Donuts' dessert selection includes doughnut sundaes made with Breyers ice cream.
- Zeeman, Kat (February 5, 2018). "Duck Donuts". Franchising Today.
- "Duck Donuts Launches National Partnership with Gabe's Chemo Duck Program". Gabe's Chemo Duck Programme. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- Gleiter, Sue (May 18, 2017). "Here's when the Duck Donuts will open in Hershey". PennLive.
- McLean, Kate (January 5, 2018). "At Duck Donuts You Are in Control of Your Own Creation". Houston Press.
- Moore, Matt (June 28, 2017). "A Sweet Success". Out & About.
- "The Story of Duck Donuts". Duck Donuts. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- Puleo, Gary (July 11, 2017). "Duck Donuts opens its doors in King of Prussia". The Times Herald.
- Unrein, John (November 8, 2017). "Duck Donuts expands franchising". bakemag.com.
- Voll, Brittany (June 19, 2013). "Duck Donuts to Open James City County Location". Williamsburg Yorktown Daily.
- Shellwani, Pervaiz (May 18, 2018). "Duck Donuts to open first New York location in Hauppauge". Newsday.
- "Warm, Delicious and Made-to-Order Duck Donuts Expands to California". Franchising.com. July 13, 2018.
- DuPuis, Roger (March 24, 2017). "Duck Donuts partners with 'Chemo Duck' children's charity". Central Penn Business Journal.
- "Quack Gives Back". Duck Donuts. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- "Menu". Duck Donuts. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- Collins, Leslie (April 28, 2018). "Leawood will get KC area's latest fancy doughnut shop". Kansas City Business Journal.
- Unrein, John (December 5, 2017). "Why cake donuts are flourishing". Food Business News.
- Morris, Ashley (April 5, 2018). "Duck Donuts launches new doughnut breakfast sandwich". StarNews.
- "Sandwiches and Sundaes". Duck Donuts. Retrieved May 20, 2018.