|Place of origin||Singapore|
|Region or state||East and Southeast Asia (Greater China)|
|Created by||Chinese Singaporeans|
|Main ingredients||Duck, maltose or honey, rice vinegar, rice|
Duck rice (simplified Chinese: 鸭饭; traditional Chinese: 鴨飯; pinyin: yā fàn; Jyutping: aap3 faan6; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: ah-pn̄g) is a Singaporean dish made of either braised or roasted duck and plain white rice. The braised duck is usually cooked with yam and shrimps; it can be served simply with plain white rice and a thick dark sauce; side dishes of braised hard-boiled eggs, preserved salted vegetables, or hard beancurd may be added.
In addition, the Teochew–based boneless duck rice is a similar, but a more refined dish; due to the slightly tougher texture of duck, the duck is artfully deboned and sliced thinly for the convenience and ease of the diner, allowing the sauces to seep into the meat; Singapore's Hainanese chicken rice and other similar dishes have followed this style due to the popularity. Along with chicken rice, this dish can commonly be found in hawker centres and food centers all over Singapore.
A similar variant known as the Singaporean braised duck also exists, known colloquially as Lor ark (Chinese: 卤鸭; pinyin: Lǔ yā) in Singaporean Teochew pronunciation. While similarly prepared, it usually doesn't involve rice and is eaten with hard boiled eggs.
- Siu mei, Cantonese roast meats, often sold together with plain rice
- List of duck dishes
- List of rice dishes
- "Duck Rice – Traditional Duck Dish From Singapore". Sofia: TasteAtlas. Retrieved 28 May 2022.
This Singaporean classic combines white rice and roasted or braised duck. If roasted, various seasonings such as cinnamon, ginger, or anise are placed inside the duck, which is then hung and roasted until crispy. The braised version is typically slowly cooked in a generously seasoned broth.
- Pulvirenti, Giulia (7 April 2016). "Top 10 Duck Rice Stalls in Singapore You Need To Quackly Visit". Sethlui. Retrieved 28 May 2022.
- Chua, Hannah (12 March 2021). "13 Braised Duck Rice Stalls In Singapore That Your Teochew Or Hokkien Mother Will Love". Eatbook. Singapore: The Smartlocal Media Group. Retrieved 28 May 2022.
- Ang, Daniel. "12 Best Braised Duck Rice In Singapore, For Tender Duck And Flavourful Rice". Daniel Food Diary. Retrieved 28 May 2022.
Duck Rice can be the ultimate comfort food to many Singaporeans. You will mainly find two types of duck rice in Singapore, the Teochew style which has a simple prep with a light gravy, and the fancier Hokkien style, which has heavy sauce and may or may not have yam rice to add richness to the dish.
- "Sia Kee Boneless Duck Rice". Singapore: National Heritage Board. Retrieved 28 May 2022.
- "Singaporean Braised Duck (Lor Ark)". What To Cook Today. 29 September 2020. Retrieved 28 May 2022.