Dude Bro Party Massacre III
|Dude Bro Party Massacre III|
|Screenplay by||Alec Owen|
|Edited by||Brian Firenzi|
Dude Bro Party Massacre III is a 2015 American satirical slasher film created by the comedy troupe 5-Second Films. It was directed by Tomm Jacobsen, Michael Rousselet, and Jon Salmon. Despite the title, it is not a sequel, and there are no previous installments. Presented as a lost film that was banned in the 1980s, it tells the story of a masked killer known as Motherface, who targets fraternity brothers.
Brent's twin brother, Brock, is murdered by Motherface, a serial killer who targets fraternities. Brent joins his brother's fraternity to learn what really happened. After their latest prank causes the deaths of dozens of people, the campus forces the fraternity to relocate to a cabin in the woods. Infuriated by the lack of punishment, Motherface hunts down the fraternity brothers to finally kill them all.
- Alec Owen as Brent / Brock
- Paul Prado as Turbeaux
- Greg Sestero as Derek
- Jimmy Wong as Sizzler
- Ben Gigli as Samzy
- Joey Scoma as Todd
- Kelsey Gunn as Samantha
- Olivia Taylor Dudley as Motherface
- Patton Oswalt as the chief of police
- Brian Firenzi as Officer Sminkle
- Maria Del Carmen as Officer Candace Buttiker
- Nina Hartley as Dean Pepperstone
- Robert Daniel Sloan as Pizza Child 1
- Dartanian Sloan as Pizza Child 2
The film is comedy troupe 5-Second Films' first feature and is a standalone film without any previous installments. It is based on a five-second short. When this proved popular, they created a fake trailer. To finance a feature-length adaptation, 5-Second Films launched a $200,000 crowdfunding campaign. The whole comedy troupe was assigned writing duties, but they were restricted from collaborating with each other. Alec Owen assembled the screenplay from their disparate scenes. Everyone on set had contributions to the film. Oswalt had previously collaborated with the troupe on short films, and Sestero knew co-director Rousselet through Rousselet's promotion of The Room as a cult film. Owen said Dude Bro was a reaction to how other films glorified objectionable behavior. Though written as "a sort of feminist film", it was intentionally designed to fail the Bechdel test.
Rotten Tomatoes, a review aggregator, reports that 90% of 10 surveyed critics gave the film a positive review; the average rating is 7.2/10. Carlos Aguilar of IndieWire wrote, "Its form and its ideas come together in a disgusting, profane, vulgar, and psychotic concoction that will become, without a doubt, an instant cult classic." Elijah Taylor of Fangoria rated it 3/4 stars and wrote that it "managed to exceed or subvert nearly every expectation I had". At Bloody Disgusting, Patrick Cooper rated the film 4/5 stars and wrote, "The jokes hit hard and fast and the whole film's quotable as hell." In rating it 2/5 stars, Matt Boiselle of Dread Central recommended it only to fans of "low-budgeted campy slashers". Comparing it to Wet Hot American Summer, Mark L. Miller of Ain't It Cool News called it "some of the dumbest fun you're going to have while watching a horror film this year".
- "Dude Bro Party Massacre 3 (2015)". The Numbers. Retrieved 2017-08-05.
- Collis, Clark (2015-05-18). "Dude Bro Party Massacre III trailer: Patton Oswalt explains why the movie isn't what it seems". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2017-02-20.
- Siegemund-Broka, Austin (2015-06-25). "'Dude Bro Party Massacre III' Enlists Andrew W.K. for "Bizarre" Slasher Film Send-Up". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-02-20.
- Collis, Clark (2013-05-29). "'5-Second Films' launches Kickstarter campaign". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2017-02-20.
- Wixson, Heather (2015-07-07). "Exclusive Interview with the Cast of DUDE BRO PARTY MASSACRE III". DailyDead.com. Retrieved 2017-02-20.
- Mancini, Vince (2015-06-15). "Twelve Years Of 'The Room': Greg Sestero On The Disaster Artist". Uproxx. Retrieved 2017-02-20.
- Harris, Jeremy O. (2015-07-23). "Interview: DUDE BRO PARTY MASSACRE III And The Art Of Machismo Feminism". Screen Anarchy. Retrieved 2017-02-20.
- Moore, Debi (2015-05-20). "New Trailer for Dude Bro Party Massacre III Promises a Rager of a Horror Comedy". Dread Central. Retrieved 2017-02-20.
- "Dude Bro Party Massacre III (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 2018-03-12.
- Aguilar, Carlos (2015-07-01). "LAFF Review: Deranged Midnight Film Dude Bro Party Massacre III is an Instant Cult Classic, Bruh". IndieWire. Retrieved 2017-02-20.
- Taylor, Elijah (2016-10-21). "Dude Bro Party Massacre III (Film Review)". Fangoria. Archived from the original on 2016-10-22. Retrieved 2017-02-20.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Cooper, Patrick (2015-07-07). "[Review] Dude Bro Party Massacre III Is a Gut-Busting, Beer-Soaked Fever Dream". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 2017-02-20.
- Boiselle, Matt (2015-07-03). "Dude Bro Party Massacre III (2015)". Dread Central. Retrieved 2017-02-20.
- Miller, Mark L. (2015-08-20). "Dude Bro Party Massacre III (2015)". Ain't It Cool News. Retrieved 2017-02-20.