Dudley, North Carolina
Dudley is an unincorporated community in Wayne County, North Carolina, United States, about 9 miles south of Goldsboro. Part of this area includes the Brogden CDP. Dudley is included in the Goldsboro, North Carolina Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Another town named Dudley originally existed several miles north from its current location. It was founded by Labon Lewis, the son of a Revolutionary soldier, named for his deceased brother Dudley Lewis. On January 13, 1840, a post office was established for this town. This office's name was later changed to Everettsville, which was moved to a new location in 1849 and was closed in 1866.
The second and present town bearing the name was set up around 1836-1840 as a camp for the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad. This time, however, it was named for Governor Edward B. Dudley, the railroad's founder. In the years in which the village grew, it gained a depot and a passenger station. Its post office was established on February 3, 1850.
Dudley was incorporated in 1897, with J. W. Hatch elected as the town's first mayor. The town's government lasted for many years until eventually no more officials were elected and the incorporation ended.
Education in Dudley is administered by the Wayne County Public School system with children attending classes at Brogden Primary School, Brogden Middle School and Southern Wayne High School. Higher education is offered through Wayne Community College in Goldsboro and Mount Olive College in Mount Olive.
- Air: Raleigh-Durham International Airport is the closest major airport with service to more than 45 domestic and international destinations. Goldsboro-Wayne Municipal Airport is an airport located nearby, but is only used for general aviation.
- Interstate Highway: I-795 is the closest Interstate to Dudley, which is located 9 miles north in Goldsboro.
- Dudley is not served directly by passenger trains. The closest Amtrak station is located in Selma.
- Bus: The area is served by Greyhound with a location in nearby Goldsboro.
- The main highway in Dudley is US 117.
- Greg Warren - American football player
- Tim Pratt - science fiction/fantasy writer and poet
- Cecil Exum - Former University of North Carolina basketball player. Played professionally in Australia. Father of highly touted 2014 NBA Draft prospect Dante Exum.
- David Bradshaw