Dudley Brooks (December 22, 1913–July 17, 1989) was an American jazz pianist, arranger, and composer.
Brooks was born on December 22, 1913, in Los Angeles, California. While under contract to Paramount Studios, Brooks spent considerable time working as a session piano player at the Radio Recorders studio in Los Angeles. For many years, Radio Recorders was one of the best known recording studios in the country and hosted performers such as Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, and Elvis Presley. Presley was also under contract to Paramount Studios where he was filming movies to include Girls! Girls! Girls! and Blue Hawaii. Paramount, to ensure Presley's recordings and movies stayed on schedule, regularly provided studio musicians to Radio Recorders. As a result, Brooks developed a professional relationship with Presley that spanned decades. Together, they collaborated on many albums and movies to include:
- A Date with Elvis
- Blue Hawaii
- Elvis for Everyone
- Elvis' Gold Records Volume 4
- Elvis Sings Flaming Star
- Elvis' Christmas Album
- Fun in Acapulco
- G.I. Blues
- Girls! Girls! Girls!
- It Happened at the World's Fair
- Kid Galahad (movie soundtrack)
- Jailhouse Rock
- Let's Be Friends
- Loving You (album)
- Peace in the Valley
- Pot Luck
- Something for Everybody
- Viva Las Vegas (movie soundtrack)
- Wild in the Country (movie soundtrack)
Brooks, one of the few African Americans who worked with Presley, downplayed allegations that Presley was a racist.
During his career, Brooks also composed a number of songs often in collaboration with other songwriters. Among his works is the well-known Christmas song "(Everybody's Waitin' For) The Man with the Bag". Made popular by Kay Starr in 1950, the song has been covered by many artists to include the Brian Setzer Orchestra and Vonda Shepard.
- "Dudley Brooks", Internet Movie Database (IMDb).
- "Dudley Brooks", Discogs.com.
- Jorgensen, Ernst (1998), Elvis Presley: A Life in Music. New York: St. Martin's Press, pp. 84, 86, 89, 95, 99, 101, 104-105, 130, 133, 136.
- Roy, James (March 2004), Radio Recorders, retrieved 2008-01-19
- "Paramount Studios", Seeing Stars: The Ultimate Guide to Celebrities and Hollywood.
- Bertrand, Michael T. (2000), Race, Rock, and Elvis. Champaign, Illinois: University of Chicago Press, p. 220.
- Hindman, James and Ray Roderick (2003). A Christmas Survival Guide: A Miniature Christmas Spectacular! New York: Samuel French, Inc., p. 4.
- Metcalfe, Phillip (2005). Christmas's Most Wanted: The Top 10 Book of Kris Kringles, Merry Jingles and Holiday Cheer. Washington D.C: Potomac Books, p. 208.
- Atkinson, Terry (December 3, 2000), "TV Shows Breed Christmas Albums", The Post-Tribune (Gary, Indiana) (Entertainment News Service), p. D-5.
- Dudley A Brooks: Los Angeles, California