Dudley South (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Dudley South in West Midlands.
Location of West Midlands within England.
|Electorate||61,308 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Mike Wood (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Dudley West|
|European Parliament constituency||West Midlands|
1997-2010: The Metropolitan Borough of Dudley wards of Brierley Hill, Brockmoor and Pensnett, Kingswinford North and Wall Heath, Kingswinford South, Netherton and Woodside, St Andrews, and Wordsley.
2010-present: The Metropolitan Borough of Dudley wards of Brierley Hill, Brockmoor and Pensnett, Kingswinford North and Wall Heath, Kingswinford South, Netherton, Woodside and St Andrews, and Wordsley.
Dudley South is one of four constituencies covering the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley, and covers the central part of the borough to the south of the town centre.
Before the 1997 election, Dudley was divided into East and West constituencies, rather than North and South. Dudley South covers most of the area previously covered by Dudley West, which included Sedgley but excluded Netherton.
Dudley West was the scene of a by-election in 1994, held after the death of the Conservative John Blackburn who had represented the constituency since 1979. The by-election was won by Labour's Ian Pearson, who stood for Dudley South in 1997 and held the seat, winning by a comfortable margin each time, until he stood down in 2010.
The Conservative candidate, Chris Kelly, gained the seat in the subsequent general election. However, he decided to stand down in 2015.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Martin Turner||828||2.2||-13.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Bramall||5,989||15.7||+3.0|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+9.5|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Bramall||4,808||12.2||−2.7|
|Liberal Democrat||Lorely Burt||5,421||14.9||+4.0|
|Socialist Alliance||Angela Thompson||663||1.8||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Richard Burt||5,214||10.9||N/A|
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in the West Midlands (county)
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Dudley
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "D" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.