Dudu Geva, 2005
March 14, 1950
|Died||February 15, 2005(aged 54)|
|Area(s)||Artist, writer, cartoonist, illustrator, and comic book creator|
Born in Jerusalem, Geva started his artistic career at the age of 17, in the youth weekly newspaper Haaretz Shelanu. In his army service, Geva contributed his talent to the military's newspaper Bamahane. After his military service, Geva joined the staff of Israel TV's Channel One (the mainstream, government-sponsored station) as a graphic designer.
From then until his dying day, Geva didn't stop working and developing the Israeli culture of comics, illustrations, and humor. He published caricatures, comic strips, and satire columns in Israel's leading newspapers: Haolam Hazeh ("Zoo-Aretz-Zoo"), Hadashot ("The Song of the Duck"), HaIr ("Joseph and his Brothers", "The Silence of the Duck"), Kol HaIr ("Ahalan and Sahalan"), Maariv ("The Road to Happiness", "Geva's Journal") and Haaretz ("The Weekly Caricature").
Although working for mainstream bodies like newspapers and books' publishers, Geva worked (mostly in his last years) on developing the underground subversive and independent Israeli art world that had been blossoming in the area. Together with his artist friends, he had published independent comic and humorous booklets.
In addition to his work in journalism, Geva never stopped producing artistically. From watercolors to acrylic to pen and pencil, Geva made hundreds of varied artworks. Geva also produced dozens of comedic comic books, fine book illustrations, and charming children's books in collaboration with many of Israel's writers and artists. Geva was known for his humor which came to fruition in his characters—among them Joseph and the duck.
Dudu Geva died on February 15, 2005, of a heart attack. He left an ex-wife and two children.
In homage to Geva, a large inflatable duck currently looks down on Rabin Square from the Tel Aviv Municipality building.
- Zoo-Aretz-Zoo (1975)
- The Knight Zick (1976) with Hanoch Marmari
- Ridiculous Book (1981) with Kobi Niv
- Son of Ridiculous (1983) with Kobi Niv
- Kotz in the Potz (1984)
- Ahalan and Sahalan in the Wild West (1985) with Kobi Niv
- Dwarf in the Pants (1985)
- Ridiculous Strikes Again (1985) with Kobi Niv
- The Journal of the Clerk (1987)
- The Duck (1994)
- The Knight Zick in the Torah Wise Men Land (2002)
- The Knight Zick in his War against the Routine (2002)
- The Knight Zick in the Kingdom of old Legends (2002)
- The Knight Zick and the Princess of the Nile (2002)
- A4 Booklets (2003)
- Cheap Literature Booklet (2005)
- The Silence of the Duck (2005)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dudu Geva.|
Michal Palti; Ruta Kupfer; Anat Balint (February 15, 2005). Haaretz cartoonist Dudu Geva dies of heart attack, age 54. Haaretz. Retrieved August 21, 2015.