Duets (TV series)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||9|
|Executive producer(s)||Robert Deaton
|Production company(s)||Keep Calm and Carry On Productions|
|Original release||May 24 – July 19, 2012|
Duets is a singing competition reality television show that premiered on May 24, 2012 on ABC. The show starred Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, Robin Thicke, and Jennifer Nettles as mentors who search for singers to duet with them as they perform in front of a live studio audience. Quddus serves as the host. The show is a production of Keep Calm and Carry On Productions. Robert Deaton and Charles Wachter are the executive producers.
- 1 Premise
- 2 Contestants
- 3 Overview
- 4 Elimination chart
- 5 Broadcast history
- 6 U.S. Nielsen ratings
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Clarkson, Thicke, Legend, and Nettles travel across America to find two singers each who serve as their duet partners for the show. Each week, the mentor and one of their two duet partners perform live in front of a studio audience. The contestants then receive feedback from the other stars—and graded anonymously—on their performances. At the end of the night the eight contestants are ranked on a chart. The two contestants at the bottom of the chart face-off. The loser is eliminated. After six weeks, the show goes live and the audience begins to vote on the outcome of each episode.
"The simple fact that I get to go out and find two people I believe in, sing with them every week and help them accomplish their dream is an amazing thing I can't wait to be a part of," stated Clarkson in a press release statement from ABC.
|Johnny Gray1||37||Shoreline, Washington||9th1|
|Alexis Foster||21||Knoxville, Tennessee||8th|
|Meleana Brown1||19||Oahu, Hawaii||7th|
|Jordan Meredith||21||Kimberly, Wisconsin||6th|
|Olivia Chisholm||21||Charlotte, North Carolina||5th|
|Bridget Carrington||30||Richmond, Virginia||4th|
|Jason Farol||19||Torrance, California||3rd|
|John Glosson||32||Douglas, Georgia||Runner-Up|
|J Rome Wayne||29||Laurel, Maryland||Winner|
- The contestant was partnered with Jennifer Nettles
- The contestant was partnered with Robin Thicke
- The contestant was partnered with Kelly Clarkson
- The contestant was partnered with John Legend
1Johnny Gray was one of the two partners for John Legend on the initial broadcast. He did not return for the second show and was replaced by Meleana Brown. The show's host said this was "due to unforeseen circumstances". Gray did not give a reason on Twitter but had several tweets that said he did not 'drop out'.
- Theme: Superstars' Greatest Hits
- Air date: May 24, 2012
- Special performance: Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, Jennifer Nettles, and Robin Thicke – "Let Me Entertain You"
|1||J Rome||Jennifer Nettles||"Tonight"||1st|
|2||Johnny Gray||John Legend||"Ordinary People"||2nd|
|3||Olivia Chisholm||Robin Thicke||"Lost Without U"||5th|
|4||Jason Farol||Kelly Clarkson||"Breaking Your Own Heart"||8th|
|5||Bridget Carrington||John Legend||"Tonight (Best You Ever Had)"||6th|
|6||John Glosson||Jennifer Nettles||"Stay"||4th|
|7||Alexis Foster||Robin Thicke||"Magic"||3rd|
|8||Jordan Meredith||Kelly Clarkson||"Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)"||7th|
- Theme: Classic Duets
- Air date: May 31, 2012
- Special performance: Kelly Clarkson and Robin Thicke – "State of Shock"
|1||Bridget Carrington||John Legend||"I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)"||3rd|
|2||Jordan Meredith||Kelly Clarkson||"Misery"||5th|
|3||John Glosson||Jennifer Nettles||"Ain't No Mountain High Enough"||4th|
|4||Olivia Chisholm||Robin Thicke||"Where Is the Love"||8th|
|5||Meleana Brown||John Legend||"Endless Love"||1st|
|6||Jason Farol||Kelly Clarkson||"Whenever You Call"||7th|
|7||J Rome||Jennifer Nettles||"You're the One That I Want"||1st|
|8||Alexis Foster||Robin Thicke||"You're All I Need to Get By"||6th|
- Theme: Songs That Inspire
- Air date: June 7, 2012
- Special performance: Jennifer Nettles and John Legend – I've Got The Music In Me"
|1||Alexis Foster||Robin Thicke||"Killing Me Softly with His Song"||8th||Eliminated|
|2||John Glosson||Jennifer Nettles||"How Great Thou Art"||2nd||Safe|
|3||Jordan Meredith||Kelly Clarkson||"Mama's Broken Heart"||3rd||Safe|
|4||Meleana Brown||John Legend||"If I Ain't Got You"||5th||Safe|
|5||Olivia Chisholm||Robin Thicke||"Crazy in Love"||6th||Safe|
|6||J Rome||Jennifer Nettles||"How Am I Supposed to Live Without You"||1st||Safe|
|7||Jason Farol||Kelly Clarkson||"Hallelujah"||7th||Bottom two|
|8||Bridget Carrington||John Legend||"I Heard It Through the Grapevine"||4th||Safe|
|Jason Farol||"Me and Mrs. Jones"||Safe|
|Alexis Foster||"(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman"||Eliminated|
- Theme: Party Songs
- Air date: June 13, 2012
|1||Jason Farol||Kelly Clarkson||"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"||5th||Safe|
|2||Bridget Carrington||John Legend||"Last Dance"||2nd||Safe|
|3||J Rome||Jennifer Nettles||"P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"||1st||Safe|
|4||Olivia Chisholm||Robin Thicke||"Let's Stay Together"||7th||Bottom two|
|5||Jordan Meredith||Kelly Clarkson||"I Love Rock 'n' Roll"||4th||Safe|
|6||Meleana Brown||John Legend||"Since U Been Gone"||6th||Eliminated|
|7||John Glosson||Jennifer Nettles||"Life Is a Highway"||3rd||Safe|
|Meleana Brown||"Saving All My Love for You"||Eliminated|
|Olivia Chisholm||"I Can't Make You Love Me"||Safe|
- Theme: Movie Night
- Air date: June 20, 2012
|1||John Glosson||Jennifer Nettles||"My Heart Will Go On"||2nd||Safe|
|2||Jordan Meredith||Kelly Clarkson||"Take My Breath Away"||5th||Eliminated|
|3||Olivia Chisholm||Robin Thicke||"Stayin' Alive"||4th||Safe|
|4||Bridget Carrington||John Legend||"What's Love Got to Do with It"||3rd||Safe|
|5||J Rome||Jennifer Nettles||"I Will Always Love You"||1st||Safe|
|6||Jason Farol||Kelly Clarkson||"Come What May"||6th||Bottom two|
- Bottom 2
|Jason Farol||"Mamma Knows Best"||Safe|
|Jordan Meredith||"And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going"||Eliminated|
- Theme: Songs from the 2000s
- Air date: June 28, 2012
- Special performance: Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, Jennifer Nettles & Robin Thicke – "Freedom! '90"
- Note: First live show of the season.
|1||John Glosson||Jennifer Nettles||"When You Say You Love Me"||Safe|
|2||Olivia Chisholm||Robin Thicke||"Need You Now"||Eliminated|
|3||Jason Farol||Kelly Clarkson||"Mercy"||Safe|
|4||Bridget Carrington||John Legend||"Halo"||Bottom Two|
|5||J Rome||Jennifer Nettles||"Without You"||Safe|
- Theme: Favorite Standards
- Air date: July 5, 2012
- Special performances: Jennifer Nettles, Robin Thicke – "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"; Kelly Clarkson, John Legend – "You Don't Know Me"
|1||Bridget Carrington||John Legend||"Unforgettable"||Eliminated|
|2||J Rome||Jennifer Nettles||"God Bless the Child"||Safe|
|3||John Glosson||Jennifer Nettles||"Georgia On My Mind"||Bottom two|
|4||Jason Farol||Kelly Clarkson||"Feeling Good"||Safe|
- Theme: Superstars Choice
- Air date: July 12, 2012
- Special Performance: Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Nettles, John Legend and Robin Thicke – "Get Ready"
|Order||Contestant||Partner||Duet song||Order||Solo song||Result|
|1||J Rome||Jennifer Nettles||"Breakeven"||4||"Signed, Sealed & Delivered"||Safe|
|2||Jason Farol||Kelly Clarkson||"Me and Mrs. Jones"||6||"Runaway Baby"||Safe|
|3||John Glosson||Jennifer Nettles||"The Prayer"||5||"Bless the Broken Road"||Bottom two|
- Air date: July 19, 2012
- Special Performances: Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Nettles – "Would I Lie To You?", John Legend and Bridget Carrington – "Gimme Shelter", Robin Thicke and Olivia Chisholm – "Fever", J Rome – "Signed, Sealed & Delivered"
|1||John Glosson||Jennifer Nettles||"For Good"||2nd|
|2||Jason Farol||Kelly Clarkson||"Heartbreak Hotel"||3rd|
|3||J Rome||Jennifer Nettles||"Rhythm of the Night"||Winner|
|3||Jason Farol||8th||7th||7th||5th||6th||Safe||Safe||Third place|
- The contestant was first on the leaderboard.
- The contestant was in the bottom two on the leaderboard.
- The contestant was in the bottom two from viewer voting.
- The contestant was eliminated.
- The contestant left/removed from the competition.
Duets premiered on May 24, 2012 on American Broadcasting Company with a two-hour episode. The series continued to air on Thursdays at 8:00 p.m. until June 7. Due to the NBA Finals, The show was scheduled to move to Wednesdays at 9:30 p.m. for two 90-minute installments starting June 13. The show returned to its original time slot on Thursday, June 28 with one-hour episodes until July 19. It was announced in June 2012 that ABC cancelled the series.
|Country||TV network(s)||Weekly schedule (local time)||Period|
|Canada||Global TV||Simsubs of U.S. stations||Season 1|
|China||BTV||最美和声||Yang Kun||Season 1: 2013||Chen Yufan
Hu Haiquan (Yu Quan)
U.S. Nielsen ratings
|May 24, 2012||1.7||6||3 (tie)||6.76||4|
|2||May 31, 2012||1.5||5||3 (tie)||5.92||5|
|3||June 7, 2012||1.2||4||8||5.27||6|
|June 13, 2012||1.1||3||6 (tie)||3.95||7|
|5||June 20, 2012||1.2||4||5||4.19||6 (tie)|
|June 28, 2012||1.0||3||9 (tie)||4.30||8|
|7||July 5, 2012||1.0||3||9||4.77||7|
|8||July 12, 2012||1.0||4||10||4.73||7 (tie)|
|9||July 19, 2012||1.0||3||8 (tie)||4.48||7|
- Lee, Jason (September 4, 2012), Quddus Announces that ABC's Duets will not return, retrieved April 17, 2013
- Shira, Dahvi (March 8, 2012). "Kelly Clarkson Among Singers Starring in Duets". People. Retrieved April 17, 2012.
- "ABC Announces Its 2012 Summer Schedule". The Futon Critic. April 5, 2012. Retrieved April 28, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (April 30, 2012). "Grammy Award Winner John Legend Joins the Cast of ‘Duets’, Premiering on ABC May 24". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Porter, Rick (April 30, 2012). "John Legend replaces Lionel Richie on 'Duets'; 'NCIS' star David McCallum returning next season". Zap2It. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- Gonzalez, Sandra (April 30, 2012). "John Legend heads to 'Duets,' replaces Lionel Richie". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- Paskin, Willa. "Duets: Idol via Project Runway". Salon Media Group, Inc. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Breaking News - ABC Announces the Eight Partners for New Music Competition Series, "Duets"". The Futon Critic. May 17, 2012. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- "What Really Happened To Johnny Gray on 'Duets'?". ca.music.yahoo.com. June 1, 2012. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
- "Listings - DUETS on ABC". The Futon Critic. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- "Shows A-Z - duets on abc". TheFutonCritic.com. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- Wightman, Catriona (June 29, 2012). "'Duets': 'Songs From The 2000s' recap". Digital Spy. Retrieved June 30, 2012.
- "Shows A-Z - duets on abc". The Futon Critic. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 25, 2012). "Thursday Final Ratings: No Adjustments for 'So You Think You Can Dance', 'Duets' or 'Rookie Blue'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (June 1, 2012). "Thursday Final Ratings: No Adjustments for 'Touch', 'Duets' or 'Rookie Blue'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 8, 2012). "Thursday Final Ratings: No Adjustments for 'Duets', 'Take Me Out' or 'The Choice'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 9, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (June 14, 2012). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'So You Think You Can Dance' Adjusted Up, 'Duets' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- Kondology, Amanda (June 21, 2012). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Dogs in the City', 'Duets' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 21, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (June 29, 2012). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Wipeout' Adjusted Up; 'Breaking Pointe' Adjusted Down Plus U.S. Olympics Trials Ratings". Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 6, 2012). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Wipeout' Adjusted Up; 'Take Me Out' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (July 13, 2012). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Wipeout' Adjusted Up; 'Rookie Blue' Adjusted Down". Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 20, 2012). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Wipeout' and 'Duets' Adjusted Up". Retrieved July 20, 2012.