|publicly listed company|
Number of locations
|Juan Carlos Torres Carretero, (Chairman) |
Julián Diaz, (CEO and Board of Directors)
|Revenue||CHF 8.7 billion (2018)|
|CHF 135.4 million (2018)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Hudson, World Duty Free, Nuance, Hellenic Duty Free Shops, Reg Staer, Duty Free Uruguay, Duty Free Argentina, Colombian Emeralds|
Dufry is the leading travel retailer with a well balanced and diversified global approach, operating in all continents. It offers a diversified portfolio of retail formats, including duty-free, duty-paid, brand boutiques, specialized concepts and convenience stores, which focus on the specific needs of travelers and is active in different retail channels, from airports, luxury cruise ships, sea ports, railway stations, border shops to downtown tourist areas. The company, headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, is present in 65 countries in 400 locations and is operating over 2,300 shops with over 36,000 employees. Dufry AG is a publicly listed company on the SIX Swiss Exchange (DUFN).
Dufry is also used as a brand name for some of the general travel retail shops that feature a wide range of products such as perfumes and cosmetics, confectionery, wines, spirits and fashion, presenting its customers with a selection of the most prestigious brands.
The brands are:
- Hudson website
- World Duty Free
- Hellenic Duty Free Shops website
- Reg Staer website
- Colombian Emeralds
- Duty Free Uruguay website
- Duty Free Shop Argentina
The company owns stores at airports, railway stations, and ports, and operates concessions onboard airlines and cruise ships.
Milestones and History
- 2019: Dufry acquires a 60% stake of RegStaer Vnukovo.
- 2018: Dufry's subsidiary Hudson Ltd. listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) with its first trading day on February 1, 2018.
- 2017: Implementation of a new retail concept the “New Generation Store”, featuring extensive and innovative use of digital applications in order to increase passenger communication and drive sales.
- 2016: Renewal of an exceptional amount of existing concession contracts and is included in the Swiss Leader Index, compiled of the 30 largest Swiss Corporations listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange.
- 2015: Acquisition of World Duty Free
- 2014: Acquisition of The Nuance Group
- 2012: Acquisition of 51% of joint venture with RegStaer Group in Russia. Acquisition of 51% of travel retail operations of Folli Follie Group in Greece
- 2011: Acquisitions of retail companies within Argentina, Uruguay, Ecuador, Martinique and Armenia, involve 21 duty-free shops split between ten airports
- 2010: Merger of Dufry Ltd. With Dufry South America Ltd.
- 2008: Acquisition of US based travel retailer Hudson Group with 550 shops in 69 airports and transportation terminals in the United States and Canada.
- 2007: Acquisition of one of the main travel retail operator in the Caribbean based in Puerto Rico with 23 shops in Puerto Rico and other Caribbean locations.
- 2006: Initial Public Offering of Dufry South America Ltd. (DSA) in December. Trading of the shares on the Brazilian and Luxembourg stock exchanges. Acquisition of the Brazilian travel retailer Brasif and its logistic platform Eurotrade - Dufry makes a quantum leap in South America.
- 2005: Dufry becomes a publicly listed company - its shares being listed on SIX Swiss Exchange. Acquisition of the remaining 25% share capital from previous shareholders by a consortium led by Advent International Corporation. Change of logo / corporate design.
- 2004: Consortium led by Advent International Corporation acquires 75% of outstanding share capital of Dufry. Focusing of strategy on travel retail - divestment of wholesale and non-strategic activities (February).
- 2003: Name changes to Dufry.
- 1952: Start of duty-free retail business - opening of the first duty-free shop in continental Europe in Paris/Le Bourget.
- 1948: Start of duty-free wholesale business.
- 1865: Origin of the group.
Some of the principal locations of the company are:
- Zurich Airport, Kloten, (Switzerland)
- EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg, Basel, (Switzerland)
- Zvartnots International Airport, Yerevan, (Armenia)
- Melbourne Airport, Melbourne, (Australia)
- Guarulhos International Airport, São Paulo (Brazil)
- Kempegowda International Airport, Bangalore (India)
- Benito Juárez International Airport, Mexico City (Mexico)
- Malpensa International Airport (Italy)
- All of Milan's railway stations (Italy)
- Jorge Chavez International Airport, Lima (Peru)
- Sharjah International Airport (United Arab Emirates)
- Mohammed V International Airport, Casablanca (Morocco)
- Sheremetyevo International Airport, Moscow (Russia)
- El Dorado Airport, Bogotá (Colombia)
- Siem Reap International Airport (Cambodia)
- Hong Kong West Kowloon railway station (Hong Kong)
- P&O Ferries (United Kingdom)
Dufry - Global Customer Service
- Ward, Carol (March 30, 2015). "Dufry To Acquire World Duty Free — Airport Revenue News (ARN)". www.airportrevenuenews.com. Airport Revenue News (ARN). Retrieved 13 June 2016.