The town is over thirteen hundred years old. In January 2014, a fire lasting over ten hours broke out destroying most of the town. There were no injuries or deaths reported, but over two thousand six hundred people had to be evacuated. Many buildings, including one statue that was from the seventeenth century, were destroyed.
- "Dukezong Old Town". China Tour Guide. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- Lau, Mimi. "Fire destroys most of ancient Tibetan town of Dukezong in Shangri-la". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- Tang, Didi. "Dukezong, Ancient Tibetan Town In Southwest China, Destroyed By Fire". Huffington Post. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Ancient town catches fire in China's Shangri-la". Xinhua. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- Spotlight: fire breaks out in ancient town, Shangri-la Archived February 3, 2014, at the Wayback Machine, China Tibet online
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dukezong.|