Dum Dums (lollipop)
Dum Dums (stylized as Dum•Dums) are sphere-shaped lollipops.
Dum Dums originated from Akron Candy Company in Bellevue, Ohio, in 1924. I.C. Bahr, the early sales manager of the company named them, thinking "Dum Dums" was a phrase any child could say. In 1953, Dum Dums were purchased by the Spangler Candy Company and moved manufacturing to Bryan, Ohio.
Initially, there were 7 original flavors: lemon, lime, orange, coconut-pineapple, cherry, grape, and butterscotch.
Spangler once experimented with plastic sticks instead of the current paper sticks, but were met with complaints of potential injury to the possible breakage of the unbending plastic in manufacturing leading to plastic fragments in the candy.
Dum Dums are made in 16 flavors with new flavors rotating into the mix every so often. The Mystery Flavor is a result of the end of one batch mixing with the next batch, rather than stopping production to clean machines in between flavors.
- Blu raspberry (1995–present)
- Bubble gum (2002–present)
- Butterscotch (1924–present)
- Cherry (1924–present)
- Cream soda (1968–present)
- Cotton candy (2002–present)
- Fruit punch (2000–2002, 2011–present)
- Grape (1924–present)
- Lemon-lime (2015–present)
- Orange (1924–2000, 2011–present)
- Peach-mango (2013–present)
- Pineapple (1970–1991, 2017–present)
- Root beer (1953–1961, 1968–present)
- Sour apple (1991–2000, 2001–present)
- Strawberry (1954–present)
- Watermelon (1982–present)
- Banana (1960–1966, 2005–2008)
- Banana split (2009–2011, 2016)
- Black cherry (1968–1970)(But still can be found at party city)
- Blueberry (2010–2017)
- Buttered popcorn (2000–2001, 2015)
- Cherry cola (2005–2009)
- Chocolate (1955–1960, 1966–1975, 2002–2008)
- Coconut (2008–2010)
- Coconut–pineapple (1924–1970, 2005–2008)
- Dulce de leche (2011–2013)
- Lemon (1924–2000)
- Lime (1924–1991)
- Mango (2008–2013)
- Orange cream (2000–2002)
- Peach (1987–2002)
- Pink lemonade (2005–2009)
- Raspberry (1961–1968, 1975–1995)
- Raspberry lemonade (2013–2015)
- Strawberry shortcake (2009–2011)
- Tangerine (2008–2011)
- Bacon (2015)
- Hawaiian Punch Fruit Juicy Red (2014, 2017)
- Hawaiian Punch Polar Blast (2014, 2017)
- Kool Korsunsky (2010 Competition Flavor)
- Mystery Mania (2011)
- Pizza (2015)
- S'mores (2016)
- Strawberry milkshake (2016)
- Apple cider (Holiday flavor)
- Hot chocolate (Holiday flavor)
- Gingerbread (Holiday flavor)
- Polar Punch (Holiday flavor)
- Sugar cookie (Holiday flavor)
- Sugar plum (Holiday flavor)
- Merry Cherry (Holiday flavor)
- Green Apple Grinch (Holiday flavor)
- Cinnamon Roll (Holiday Flavor)
- Winter Citrus (Holiday Flavor)
- "Dum Dums FAQs | Dum Dums Questions". www.dumdumpops.com. Retrieved 2017-11-15.
- "Dum Dums Flavor History". Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- "Dum Dums Flavor History". Dum Dums. Spangler Candy Company. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- "What is the Mystery Flavor of Dum Dums?". Article. Mental_Floss. Retrieved 19 June 2015.