Dumas New Tech High School
|Dumas New Tech High School|
|709 Dan Gill Drive
|School district||Dumas School District|
|NCES District ID||0505500|
|NCES School ID||050550000262|
|Faculty||31.50 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||9.46|
|Campus type||Town; remote|
|Athletics conference||4A Region 8 (2012–14)|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Competitive Cheer, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Athletics, BAND|
|Team name||Dumas Bobcats|
|Affiliations||Arkansas Activities Association|
Dumas New Tech High School (DNTHS), formerly Dumas High School, is a comprehensive public secondary school located in Dumas, Arkansas, United States, for students in grades ten through twelve. Dumas is one of two public high schools in Desha County and is the sole high school administered by the Dumas School District.
The assumed course of study for students is to complete the Smart Core curriculum developed by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE), which requires students complete at least 24 units for graduation. Course offerings include regular and Advanced Placement classes and exams with opportunities for college credit via AP exam. The school is accredited by the ADE and has been accredited by AdvancED since 1957.
In 2011, Dumas High School was ranked No. 1,584 of 2,008 high schools in the nation rated in the Challenge Index with an index score of 1.316. In 2012 and 2013, Dumas improved its ranking with a 2.640 and 2.820 index scores, respectively, and are ranked No. 548 (2012) and No. 534 (2013) of evaluated high schools, although the school's AP exam pass rate was below 10 percent.
Students may participate in various musical and performing arts such as band or choir. Unfortunately, the Arts have dwindled over the years at Dumas High School, as football has become the main target for funding and recognition.
The Dumas High School mascot is the Bobcat with the school colors of purple and gold.
For the 2012–14 seasons, the Dumas Bobcats participate in the 4A Region 8 Conference. Competition is primarily sanctioned by the Arkansas Activities Association with student-athletes competing in Quiz Bowl, football, baseball, basketball (boys/girls), golf (boys/girls), softball, tennis (boys/girls), track and field (boys/girls).
Clubs and traditions
Dumas students participate in a variety of leadership, business, affinity groups and career-centric pursuits ranging from membership, activities, events and conferences supported by Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA), Library Club.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Dumas School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Dumas High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "Institution Summary, Dumas High School". AdvancED. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "The High School Challenge". Washington Post. Retrieved December 30, 2012.[dead link]
- "2012-14 AAA Classifications and Conferences" (PDF). Arkansas Activities Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 19, 2013. Retrieved December 25, 2012.
- "School Profile, Dumas High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Archived from the original on February 4, 2016. Retrieved December 26, 2012.