This article possibly contains original research. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article is written like a travel guide rather than an encyclopedic description of the subject. (September 2017)
Location of Dumka district in Jharkhand
|Division||Santhal Pargana Division|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Dumka|
|• Vidhan Sabha constituencies||4|
|• Total||3,716 km2 (1,435 sq mi)|
|• Density||360/km2 (920/sq mi)|
|• Literacy||62.54 per cent|
|• Sex ratio||974|
|Time zone||UTC+05:30 (IST)|
Dumka district (Hindi: दुमका जिला, Santhali:ᱫᱩᱢᱠᱟ ᱦᱚᱱᱚᱛ) is one of the twenty-four districts of Jharkhand state in eastern India, and Dumka is the administrative headquarters of this district. This district covers an area of 3716.02 km2. This district has a population of 1,321,442 (2011 Census).
In 2006, the Indian government named Dumka one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 21 districts in Jharkhand currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
According to the 2011 census Dumka district has a population of 1,321,442, roughly equal to the nation of Mauritius or the US state of New Hampshire. This gives it a ranking of 370th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 300 inhabitants per square kilometre (780/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 19.39%. Dumka has a sex ratio of 974 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 62.54%. Schedule Caste (SC) constitutes 6% while Schedule Tribe (ST) were 43.2% of total population.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 5, 2012. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Mauritius 1,303,717 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
New Hampshire 1,316,470
- 2011 Census of India, Population By Mother Tongue
- Decadal Variation In Population Since 1901