Dunbar High School (Dayton, Ohio)
|Dunbar High School|
|1400 Albritton Drive
Dayton, Ohio 45408
|School type||Public Secondary School|
|School board||Dayton Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
|Athletics conference||Dayton City League|
|Team name||Dayton Dunbar Wolverines|
|Website||Dunbar High School Website|
Paul Laurence Dunbar High School is part of Dayton City Schools. The school is located in Dayton, Ohio, and serves approximately 700 students. The school is named after poet Paul Laurence Dunbar, a Dayton native. The school mascot is the wolverine. Dunbar's mission is to unite and promote student achievement in preparation for a successful future.
Paul Laurence Dunbar High School is the only historically African-American high school in Dayton. It was created to educate African-American youth and to employ teachers of color. The school originally opened on Summit Street in 1931 and graduated its first class in 1936. In 1962 a new Dunbar high school was opened and the original building was renamed MacFarlane Elementary. MacFarlane later became a middle school, it closed in 2003 and was razed in 2005.
Dunbar competes in the Dayton City League.
- Mark Baker, Dayton Public Schools athletic director, former Ohio State and NBA basketball player
- Cornelius Cash, former NBA player
- Norris Cole, basketball player, NBA Oklahoma city thunder
- Daequan Cook, former NBA player
- Na'Shan Goddard, South Carolina and NFL
- Johnny Green, former NBA player
- Geron Johnson, basketball player, Memphis and Developmental League
- Jerry Jones, former NFL player
- Kelvin Kirk, first Mr. Irrelevant and CFL player
- Jerry McKee, ABA basketball player
- C. J. McLin, Ohio State Representative
- Rhine McLin, Mayor of Dayton
- Dan Wilkinson, NFL football player
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys Basketball – 1987, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012
The Dunbar Wolverines' boys track program has won five state championships in eight years.
- Boys Track and Field – 1948, 1963, 1964, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2012, 2014, 2015 
- Boys Track and Field Runners Up - 1962, 1965, 1970, 1984, 2001
- Boys Track & Field Indoor State Champions (OATCCC) - 2011, 2012
- Boys Track & Field Indoor State Runner Up (OATCCC) - 2010
- Girls Basketball – 1991 
- Girls Track & Field State Runner Up - 2000
- Girls Indoor State Runner Up- 2017
- Babcock, Jim (March 14, 2004). "FOND MEMORIES, GOOD BARGAINS AT MACFARLANE - Original Dunbar High scheduled for wrecking ball". Dayton Daily News. p. B1.
- "Regional Headlines". Dayton Daily News. April 8, 2005. p. B2.
- "Dunbar Early College High School".
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
|This Montgomery County, Ohio school article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|